Cozumel questions - staying on the cheap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with cudeffy Blue Angel is a great place to stay for a non frills dive trip.If there for two weeks look at getting your advanced open water. enjoy

The comment about the loud music and partying at the Barracuda is right - but only during the day when the cruise ship crews are around. By the time you get back from the afternoon dive, they are heading back to their ships or already gone, and Sunday is quiet since there are no cruise ships.
I've stayed at both Hotel Cozumel and the Barracuda, and like both places. How about the first week at Hotel Cozumel to get comfortable with being there, and then to avoid another week of probably very similar food again, try the Barracuda for the second week as there are lots of inexpensive places to eat in walking distance. You could book both of these hotel/diving packages through www.bayadventures.com that would include diving with Dive Paradise both weeks.
Even if an all-inclusive works better for you, it's still worth going in to town at least once and Sunday evening in the square is always fun.
Enjoy your trip !

Last edited:
If you are looking for a true economical trip I would suggest you stay downtown and take advantage of the great deals downtown.I always stay at a really nice little place called Suites Vima right off the square on 10th street.They have large rooms that are super clean,great air,TV free wifi,small fridge and use of there family computer in the lobby.They give me a room for $30 per night.there are also many others like Colonial Suites, Bahia,Plaza to name a few.
You want to dive with a shop that will pick you up downtown so you don't have to use a cab.I have used Opal's Dream for many years and they charge $60 dollars for a 2 tank morning dive.They are my favorite shop but there are many other great shops.
I like to save money so usually drop into a small cantina for lunch,my favorite is the one on 3rd and 15th streets.You buy a beer or soda and they will bring out several little plates of food to eat while you sit there and watch the people.There are plenty of great places to eat at night and usually spend $10 to $12 for dinner.

About the same price as here in the states.

Oh wait, I thought you were asking about groceries. If you are going to different restaurants it varies WIDELY. I found some great little places that were very cheap. Actually, even La Choza had decent prices. Much cheaper than a comparable restaurant in the states. I found a great bakery where you can by bread, rolls, muffins, pasteries for pennies.

Many of these depend on how you book it, when, and luck. I can generally find the best deals booking air & hotel packages, and with Orbitz you can take another $100 off with traveler100 discount code. You may well have to phone the help line to use it, but that's free.

By mid fall, I guess you mean October? Using Matrix - ITA Software to check 14 night stays, it looks like $465 RT from Houston on Wednesdays or Fridays, higher other days, no Tuesday flights, and if you give a range of 12-15 nights - you get more possibilities. There are 3 date pairs when you could fly into Cancun instead for $340 RT, and even after bus RT to Playad del Carmen and ferries - you'd still be ahead. I won't do it unless I have other reasons to be on the peninsula, but it's an idea.

Looking at Orbitz packages, it is interesting that while United Air gives the best plane price alone, the packages are $75 higher with United over American - but it'd still be worth it to go non-stop both ways. You can get Vista del Mar or the Colonial downtown and I think on the water (if their map is correct, as I don't know all of these hotels well?) for $924 Air & hotel - the $100 discount = $824: compared to air fare, average $25.65/night including taxes for a single with free breakfasts on at least one of those. :eyebrow: The hostel may be cheaper, but maybe not.

There are lots of economical places to eat in town for the other meals, and I always like to book my diving separately from the other package - and most will pick you up downtown I think.

I will throw out a name. I was very happy with Casa del Mar. They have the option of AI or not. Thier food is good and there is a very nice cantina across the road. They have thier own dive shop across the street with unlimited shore diving and a nice boat with a great crew. There is a convenience store next door for any pop or candy fixes you need.

The rooms aren't fancy but they are clean, comfortable and air conditioned. Staff was friendly and very helpfull. The grounds are beautiful and pool is wonderful with a swim-up bar. The only down side is if you want to go into town you will need a taxi or scooter rental. I recommend the scooter!
It is a nice hotel and you can order off of the menu on their AI, but it's a small menu. As bored as I got after a few days eating there once, I'd hate to do it for two weeks. :eek:

If you are thinking of going before the end of September, check out the special being offered by Blue Angel. Dive with them and stay free. They throw in meals, too. They have the special posted on their facebook page. You can easily check them out by searching the forum. Even if you're not going by September, give them a look as they are a favorite of many and reasonably priced even when not on "special".
Yep, maybe not as cheap at my idea above, but they do have a nice special, and it's a great little hotel and dive Op.

If I go to a non-dive hotel, how much does a single dive cost with a separate operator?
Most trips are 2-tank and start at $60 and up I think. Customary tipping on those trips is like $10 more and you may as well budget that, and it's customary to tip hotel maids at least a buck/night & waiters at least a buck meal.

As new as you are, I wonder how much of your own gear you have vs how much you need to rent? Some things you really can't rent, like a SMB - but very important.

When I was looking at airfare/hotel deals on Orbitz in March, the Fiesta Americana was the cheapest AI. I stayed there and was pleased. The food is decent and their dive op, Dive House is excellent.

Back
Top Bottom