Cozumel questions - staying on the cheap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Looking to go to Cozumel mid-fall. Will stay for 2 weeks.

What is the cheapest all-inclusive way to stay and get some diving done? Luxury is not required, I am a beginner diver, so, not too picky about diving. Will be traveling alone.

PS: Any safety concerns? I have not been back to Mexico since the drug war took a violent turn.

I would ask this in the Cozumel forum not to mention having a look at all the posts (or maybe this will be moved by mods). There is a great deal of info on Cozumel accommodations.

There are AI's close to town (northern end but still closer to town) and many south. They range from higher to lower end. I would search the internet on Cozumel all-inclusives and packages. I assume you mean going around Oct-Nov. We always go this time of year and excluding some holidays it is generally lower season so prices tend to be lower however airfare does not behave like it used to. Packages including air might be a money saver.

Unfortunately many of the hotels charge based on double occupancy so definitely check if single rates are available. There are other options in town (or closer to town) at smaller hotels and these are discussed in the Cozumel forum. I can't remember if meal plans are available or not.

You will have good diving no matter where you stay. Staying south puts you closer to a majority of sites and you can be picked up at your hotel by most any dive op. Check with the hotel to see if they charge for using their pier for non-hotel dive ops (Coz forum again and with the hotel but their website might not say it explicitly). Staying in town you will probably use an in-town pier maybe with taxi trips if farther away from the piers - the dive op should tell you which piers they use.

I consider Cozumel to be safe and given what has happened in Colorado recently and in other places in Mexico, I have no problems with Cozumel at all. There are a few threads on Cozumel safety in the Cozumel forum also.

Some smaller hotels are closely associated (if not same owner) with dive ops so maybe check with the dive op or hotel you can roll everything into one price. I don't do it this way so not entirely sure.

Basically I am saying, check out the Cozumel forum.

I will throw out a name. I was very happy with Casa del Mar. They have the option of AI or not. Thier food is good and there is a very nice cantina across the road. They have thier own dive shop across the street with unlimited shore diving and a nice boat with a great crew. There is a convenience store next door for any pop or candy fixes you need.

The rooms aren't fancy but they are clean, comfortable and air conditioned. Staff was friendly and very helpfull. The grounds are beautiful and pool is wonderful with a swim-up bar. The only down side is if you want to go into town you will need a taxi or scooter rental. I recommend the scooter!

Hotel Cozumel offers reasonably priced all-inclusive packages for single divers, and is close enough to walk to town. You will however miss out on some great food if you don't get a chance to have at least a few meals elsewhere. If you're willing to consider a non all-inclusive, Hotel Barracuda is another option - basic but clean, very short walk to town and plenty of restaurants, small fridge in the rooms with a grocery store right across the street. I've gone to Cozumel alone several times and never had any safety concerns. Whatever you decide, have a good trip and enjoy the diving !
Julie

Casa Mexicana is known for the inclusive awesome breakfast, and its right next to the pier where the boats will pick you up in the morning. (Deep exposure, Dive with Sergio.. whatever)

If you are young, like to party, don't mind sleeping with thumping music and that goes with that.. Barracuda

If you are thinking of going before the end of September, check out the special being offered by Blue Angel. Dive with them and stay free. They throw in meals, too. They have the special posted on their facebook page. You can easily check them out by searching the forum. Even if you're not going by September, give them a look as they are a favorite of many and reasonably priced even when not on "special".

Hotel Cozumel offers reasonably priced all-inclusive packages for single divers, and is close enough to walk to town. You will however miss out on some great food if you don't get a chance to have at least a few meals elsewhere. If you're willing to consider a non all-inclusive, Hotel Barracuda is another option - basic but clean, very short walk to town and plenty of restaurants, small fridge in the rooms with a grocery store right across the street. I've gone to Cozumel alone several times and never had any safety concerns. Whatever you decide, have a good trip and enjoy the diving !
Julie

stay at hotel cozumel & dive with Dive Paradise..it don't get no cheaper...end of story !!!

i have only been to coz, once. I stayed at Allegro and dove with Aqua Safari and Pro Dive. Prodive was a bit pricey for the dives, but they were also fantastic, and had a great set up. Allegro I ended up paying just over 500 each for the wife and I, for all inclusive

I want to cast another vote for hotel coz. Will be back in sept for my fifth time and I can't find any better for the price. If you compare the AI at hotel coz versus non AI it is only about a $10-15 dollar a day difference. I drink that much coca lite. Look at their dive packages with dive paradise and you can get great deals. Enjoy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom