Cozumel COVID-19 updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

There has been one or more reports related to general coronavirus / COVID19 discussion in this thread. Please be aware the purpose of this thread is discussion of coronavirus / COVID19 as it relates to Cozumel only. Cozumel-specific status/statistics are acceptable, as is information about openings and/or travel to Cozumel. General travel discussion, like general virus discussion, should be posted to one of the existing threads, or create a new thread, if needed, in the appropriate forum.

Please note: this subforum typically limits discussions to topics as they relate to Cozumel only. This thread has meandered far from what one normally would see here, in that there is quite a bit of general discussion. We (the moderators) are not going to go back and make any retroactive changes, but ask that you please follow the community standards going forward and focus on the subject only as it relates to Cozumel. Posts more appropriate for general discussion will be removed without notice.

I spray the inside of mine with 70% alcohol, then let it sit in a numbered paper sack for a week knowing that the virus cannot last more than a few days without a host. At 57¢, no - 50¢ each, I could trash them, but that seems wasteful.
I spray mine regularly inside and out with 95% ethanol. Once I put it on before it dried and I discovered a very efficient way to consume alcohol. :D

A mask filters. As a filter the contminant is on the filter surface and in the filter.

The strings should be relatively clean unless someone coughed in you ear.
Since you are inhaling through it the outside of your mask may be minimally more susceptible to contamination than is, for example, your shirt, but in most environments I don't think the difference is enough to warrant throwing worn masks away.

I spray mine regularly inside and out with 95% ethanol. Once I put it on before it dried and I discovered a very efficient way to consume alcohol. :D
I read somewhere to use 70%, and all I had on hand was 95% and 50%. I tried to buy some but my favorite supermarket said "Not since this started. All going to medical sites." So I carefully mixed equal portions of what I had to get 72½%, just trying to follow instructions altho it's challenging to know who to believe. I wish Dr.Fauci had his own CNN column. I do not trust the current official releases.

Are you using liquor store alcohol? If from a drug store, I don't think you want to consume that. The inside is the most important as we deposit so much personal exhalation gunk there that it could grow before it dries out. I guess spraying the outside is fine. I was told to let them set for four days between uses, so I go for a week or more.

I know it doesn't but it's the way the lungs are attacked along with the potential for creating embolisms.
It is a new disease, we do not know many things yet...
What's happening here is that now in Italy the number of cases requiring an ICU has dropped very low.
This is good news, as Italy is one month ahead of other countries in the progress of the epidemic, hence possibly the same should happen also in other countries.Now that the number of severe cases is so low, we can finally study what are the permanent consequences of mild or asymptomatic infections. The studies are undergoing, we should wait another month for the first epidemiologic studies on large numbers of people.
What is already clear is that even when the symptoms are mild or absent one can get permanent damages.
For example, I know personally a couple of guys who had just modest fever for two days and no cough or other respiratory issues.
But they have lost entirely the smell sense, and partially the taste sense.
They were infected 3 months ago, and they were said that the chances of recovering smell are now substantially zero.

I read somewhere to use 70%, and all I had on hand was 95% and 50%. I tried to buy some but my favorite supermarket said "Not since this started. All going to medical sites." So I carefully mixed equal portions of what I had to get 72½%, just trying to follow instructions altho it's challenging to know who to believe. I wish Dr.Fauci had his own CNN column. I do not trust the current official releases.

Are you using liquor store alcohol? If from a drug store, I don't think you want to consume that. The inside is the most important as we deposit so much personal exhalation gunk there that it could grow before it dries out. I guess spraying the outside is fine. I was told to let them set for four days between uses, so I go for a week or more.

70% is the recommended minimum; a higher concentration is fine. You do not need to dilute it. I use Everclear 95% ethanol from a liquor store, but as long as it's ethanol and not denatured, getting it from a drugstore would be fine. I spray produce with it as well. I won't comment about Dr. Fauci.

It is a new disease, we do not know many things yet...
What's happening here is that now in Italy the number of cases requiring an ICU has dropped very low.
This is good news, as Italy is one month ahead of other countries in the progress of the epidemic, hence possibly the same should happen also in other countries.
Is there anything in particular you could point out that Italy did and is doing which have made it so successful in combatting the disease that Mexico is failing to do?

From the 18-July update (week-to-week)
Code:
                                 7/11  ->   7/18   % Chg
                                -----      -----   -----
Q Roo Confirmed Cases           5,030  ->  6,095   21.2%
     Social Isolation           1,598  ->  2,134   33.5%
     Hospitalized                 343  ->    415   21.0%
     Recovered                  2,396  ->  2,756   15.0%
     Deaths                       693  ->    790   14.0%
Q Roo Tests pending               698  ->    679   -2.7%

Cozumel
     Confirmed Cases              122  ->    158    9.5%
     Recovered                     49  ->     66   34.7%
     Deaths                        20  ->     25   25.0%
     % Hospital rooms in use       51% ->     57%  11.8%

Increasing case velocity
     QRoo North                    1.82 ->   1.7  -6.6%
     QRoo South                    4.45 ->   4.4  -1.1%

Semaphore status:
                                 7/13-7/19 -> 7/20-7/26
     QRoo North                     Orange ->   Orange
     QRoo South                     Red    ->   Red
Data from https://twitter.com/SESA_QROO/status/1284536471454720003/photo/1
See post #147 for more information about how these numbers are generated and why they may seem low or the the percentages unusual.

QRoo governor Carlos Joaquín has tested positive for SARS-CoV-2. Reports on his Facebook page indicate that symptoms are mild so far.

Is there anything in particular you could point out that Italy did and is doing which have made it so successful in combatting the disease that Mexico is failing to do?
Unfortunately no. We did nothing special, nor we have developed some miracolous drug.
It appears that the virus here did become less aggressive. It is still spreading, but people tested positive are exhibiting a very low viral load. Enough for infecting other people, not enough for causinge life-threatening symptoms.
I really hope that the same happens all around the world...
Currently it is not happening yet.
My son is currently in Barcelona, and it appears the situation in Catalunya is going to hell.
They risk a new complete lockdown. And Spain did follow Italy closely, has very similar culture and behaviour, the public health system is also similar.
Why here the virus is weak and in Spain it is stll so aggressive?

Shot in the dark.

Anyways after spending a little over a week in in Q Roo, anyone that blames the tourists isn’t really looking too hard. I noticed that the locals often only social distanced from strangers. You see groups of locals sitting around talking and eating without masks like normal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom