Cozumel COVID-19 updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shot in the dark.

Anyways after spending a little over a week in in Q Roo, anyone that blames the tourists isn’t really looking too hard. I noticed that the locals often only social distanced from strangers. You see groups of locals sitting around talking and eating without masks like normal.
There are two things going on. There is the bringing the virus in from outside and there is the spreading it once it is there.

There are two things going on. There is the bringing the virus in from outside and there is the spreading it once it is there.

It's been here, never went away. The only difference today are there are more people and they're moving around. There are 10x the number of cases in Chetumal today verses 45 days ago - that's a tourist hot spot......

Shot in the dark.

Anyways after spending a little over a week in in Q Roo, anyone that blames the tourists isn’t really looking too hard. I noticed that the locals often only social distanced from strangers. You see groups of locals sitting around talking and eating without masks like normal.
We spent the first week in June there. I agree with you completely.

It's been here, never went away. The only difference today are there are more people and they're moving around. There are 10x the number of cases in Chetumal today verses 45 days ago - that's a tourist hot spot......
Of course, but more people coming in increases the probability that they will bring more of the virus in with them.

Unfortunately no. We did nothing special, nor we have developed some miracolous drug.
I think that one difference is that in countries like Italy and Germany they took their bad tasting economic medicine in one big gulp early on and got pretty much the whole population to do what was necessary to inhibit the spread of the virus. In other countries like Mexico and the US many people cannot be bothered so they (we) get what they (we) get.

Of course, but more people coming in increases the probability that they will bring more of the virus in with them.
I think they already have enough to go around.

Shot in the dark.

Well, no one can be expected to wear a mask while eating, and if these are household units of families then it wouldn't matter much if they are sitting around talking without masks like normal.

If there are multiple households having gatherings tho, then it'll only take one carrier to infect as many as all of them.

Cozumel
Confirmed Cases 122 -> 158 9.5%
Recovered 49 -> 66 34.7%
Deaths 20 -> 25 25.0% %
Hospital rooms in use 51% -> 57% 11.8%
Numbers like this are not very encouraging. Multiply the raw numbers by 10 and even less so. Dangit, I have planned my August visit for months and made so many changes to adapt to the needs, but this is discouraging. It sounds better than the metropolitan areas in Texas, but then I won't visit those either. And the main reason I bailed on my second plan to visit the Giant Trees in California was fear of flying in silver Petri dishes.

Well, no one can be expected to wear a mask while eating, and if these are household units of families then it wouldn't matter much if they are sitting around talking without masks like normal.

If there are multiple households having gatherings tho, then it'll only take one carrier to infect as many as all of them.

Just a couple of examples, I saw workers were eating together at normal tables with no social distancing and I saw groups like the drivers sitting around talking without masks.

Just a couple of examples, I saw workers were eating together at normal tables with no social distancing and I saw groups like the drivers sitting around talking without masks.
Of course.

Of course.
It does not sound like the locals are taking threats seriously, just enough show to look cooperative. I never thought I'd make 500 dives logged as my trips have subsided some, and now that I am one trip away from making that target, I was really trying to make this work. I also have no reason to believe that I'd survive an infection and now within 30 days of departure, I'm becoming more discouraged. Nearby state parks are partially opened and altho far from the same thing, but I am considering taking the safer options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom