Cozumel COVID-19 updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There have been reports of violence against medical personnel treating SARS-COV-2 patients. Apparently some people have been led to believe that the clinics and medical staff are the cause of the deaths, not the virus.

I pray this was just a very small fragment of the population. As a front line worker, my life has been turned upside down for a solid month. I have time off in Sept and was looking into Cozumel as a destination.. The island just lost some of it's appeal.

There have been reports of violence against medical personnel treating SARS-COV-2 patients. Apparently some people have been led to believe that the clinics and medical staff are the cause of the deaths, not the virus.
The degree of gullibility of human beings continues to astound me. In the UK there has been a rash of attacks on cellphone towers; some idiots believe that 5G technology is responsible for COVID-19 simply because Wuhan was an early adopter of 5G tech.

The degree of gullibility of human beings continues to astound me.
This time of year I sleep with the window open. I woke to a mockingbird imitating my recent smoke alarm tests. It got me to check the house.

The next announcement needs to praise the medical professionals. Anyone got a connection?

From the 2-May noon update:
Code:
                                 Previous  ->  Today
Q Roo Confirmed Cases                 825  ->  888
     Social Isolation                 127  ->  152
     Hospitalized                     169  ->  187
     Recovered                        411  ->  431
     Deaths                           118  ->  118
Q Roo Tests pending                   154  ->   89

Cozumel
     Confirmed Cases                  23   ->   23
     Recovered                        11   ->   11
     Deaths                            6   ->    6
Data from SESA Quintana Roo on Twitter
See post #147 for more information about how these numbers are generated and why they may seem low or the the percentages unusual.

The Deputy Minister of Health stated yesterday that Cancun has probably peaked in virus cases, and that it should be on the downward slope of the curve. The stats would seem to indicate that's he's off by a couple of days. Here are the last threee days stats from Cancun; the full history can be found by using the link to the SESA Twitter feed above.

Code:
Cancún                              30-Apr     1-May     2-May
     Confirmed Cases                 597        619       666
     Recovered                       323        327       335
     Deaths                           80         82        82

He went on to say describe dangerous risks if the quarantine and social distancing measures are removed early. Mexico as a whole should peak sometime late next week. Link to the Deputy Health Minister's breifing (in Spanish): Cancún estaría próximo a dejar lo peor de la epidemia: López-Gatell

It seems worth noting that none of the projection curves presented show any rebound or second wave. I'm not certain if they are not forecasting a second wave or simply don't have data to be able to reliably predict what the curve/timing of a subsequent wave would look like.

I pray this was just a very small fragment of the population. As a front line worker, my life has been turned upside down for a solid month. I have time off in Sept and was looking into Cozumel as a destination.. The island just lost some of it's appeal.
There have been, sadly, similar reports from around Mexico. When we only visit the highly polished tourist areas, it's easy to forget that much of the population is not well educated. They are understandably frightened (aren't we all?) and lashing out because they don't understand.

It seems worth noting that none of the projection curves presented show any rebound or second wave. I'm not certain if they are not forecasting a second wave or simply don't have data to be able to reliably predict what the curve/timing of a subsequent wave would look like.
I don't think they have enough data to predict with any degree of accuracy what the first wave will ultimately look like, much less the results of any successive outbreaks. The bell shaped curves being displayed are guesses at best.

I'm bored - I scrolled thru Pedro's Facebook page and collected the data he gives out as official data every day. A few notes, there are three days of data missing and remember the government is saying to multiply these numbers by nine. Sometimes when you see data everyday with maybe just a comparison to the previous day, it's hard to judge where you've been and where you might be going...... Seems we've been pretty steady trudging along down here...

View attachment 583633

View attachment 583634
Chuck, can you easily calculate and graph the change in new cases day to day? That's something we don't get directly in the daily updates and it would help visualize if we're really following the bell curve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom