Cozumel COVID-19 updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the sarcasm

It's not getting wiped out, but this should help flatten the real curve. IMO (and stated previously), the ridiculously low COVID-19 infection numbers are going to get waved around at the end of May and there will be a lot of backslapping about how these draconian quarantine measures basically wiped this thing out and oh yeah, time to get back to work.
If you look at what happened in 1918 you'll see that backing off from measures taken to slow the spread of the Spanish flu when it looked like it was in decline resulted in subsequent waves of infection that were worse than the first. The measures you call "draconian" saved lives, possibly yours. There is no simple or quick solution to this pandemic; even if authorities on Cozumel were to declare "mission accomplished" on June 1 and open the island back up to tourism there's no way I am would immediately take my family there.

I have no idea what you mean by "the sarcasm".

If you look at what happened in 1918 you'll see that backing off from measures taken to slow the spread of the Spanish flu when it looked like it was in decline resulted in subsequent waves of infection that were worse than the first.
Like described in this Smithsonian article: Philadelphia Threw a WWI Parade That Gave Thousands of Onlookers the Flu | History | Smithsonian Magazine

Within 72 hours of the parade, every bed in Philadelphia’s 31 hospitals was filled. In the week ending October 5, some 2,600 people in Philadelphia had died from the flu or its complications. A week later, that number rose to more than 4,500. With many of the city’s health professionals pressed into military service, Philadelphia was unprepared for this deluge of death.
With the current virus, the backlash may not show for 15 days.

IMO (and stated previously), the ridiculously low COVID-19 infection numbers...
ridiculously low ???
What can be ridiculous when thousands of lives have been ended prematurely due to lack of control of this bad virus?
In large portions of north Italy we have quadruplicated the number of deaths per week we have normally...
There were so many corps that the crematory furnaces where overwhelmed, and military trucks had to carry them south, for being burned.
I do not really see anything ridiculous in that, sorry.
Thanks to these "draconian" measures we are now at "just" 150% of normal deaths per week, but still in hospitals there are thousands of people who will not make it.
And we fear that as soon as some "normal" activity will be allowed again, the number of deaths will start to increase again.
The good thing is that, by locking everything also in South Italy, where the number of infections was smaller, we avoided to reach the same nightmare also there. So thousands of lives have been saved by these measures, and no one, coming back, could think that it had been better to act differently.
In reality, we waited too much before locking down everything. One week earlier had been much better.
I hope that at Cozumel, as elsewhere, the government acts responsibly, and people follow its guidance, avoiding the highly-feared "second wave", which could be much worst than the first one.

Like described in this Smithsonian article: Philadelphia Threw a WWI Parade That Gave Thousands of Onlookers the Flu | History | Smithsonian Magazine

Within 72 hours of the parade, every bed in Philadelphia’s 31 hospitals was filled. In the week ending October 5, some 2,600 people in Philadelphia had died from the flu or its complications. A week later, that number rose to more than 4,500. With many of the city’s health professionals pressed into military service, Philadelphia was unprepared for this deluge of death.
With the current virus, the backlash may not show for 15 days.

Isn' that what happened to New Orleans after Mardis Gras? And Cozumel after the last cruise ship was allowed to dock in Cozumel?

Dave

If you look at what happened in 1918 you'll see that backing off from measures taken to slow the spread of the Spanish flu when it looked like it was in decline resulted in subsequent waves of infection that were worse than the first. The measures you call "draconian" saved lives, possibly yours. There is no simple or quick solution to this pandemic; even if authorities on Cozumel were to declare "mission accomplished" on June 1 and open the island back up to tourism there's no way I am would immediately take my family there.

I have no idea what you mean by "the sarcasm".
jesus, are you serious?

This whole statement is sarcasm:
Well they have to step up their quarantine game if they're gonna wipe this thing out in 30 days

There is obviously no way COVID-19 is getting wiped in 30 days, if ever. We still haven't wiped out SARS after 10 years.

This is a prediction about what the government is going to do. I can't believe it requires an explanation.

the ridiculously low COVID-19 infection numbers are going to get waved around at the end of May and there will be a lot of backslapping about how these draconian quarantine measures basically wiped this thing out and oh yeah, time to get back to work.

This is saying that at the end of May, the government will post very low infection numbers as proof that the spread is under control, a direct result of the hard measures they have taken. There will be no mention about lack of testing or fudged numbers.

At no point did I recommend you or anyone else book a flight on June 1st.

ridiculously low ???
What can be ridiculous when thousands of lives have been ended prematurely due to lack of control of this bad virus?
Calm down chief. I'm referring to the unreliably low numbers in QRoo, not global numbers or Italy.

Calm down chief. I'm referring to the unreliably low numbers in QRoo, not global numbers or Italy.
Sorry, your post was definitely unclear. In fact I see that, as me, many others misinterpreted it.
Often it is not easy to understand sarcasm or humour in a text written online...
And remember that many here are not English mother tongue...
This forum supports Smilies, they can be used for making it clear when you are serious or not, or any other "emoticons" you want to express.:wink:
So I warmly apologise for the misunderstanding, your last message clarifies the meaning of your post.:(

WRONG! The QRoo numbers are not "unreliably low". See this post for the explanation and supporting links: #147

Sorry, your post was definitely unclear. In fact I see that, as me, many others misinterpreted it.
Often it is not easy to understand sarcasm or humour in a text written online...
And remember that many here are not English mother tongue...
This forum supports Smilies, they can be used for making it clear when you are serious or not, or any other "emoticons" you want to express.:wink:
So I warmly apologise for the misunderstanding, your last message clarifies the meaning of your post.:(
:thumb:

WRONG! The QRoo numbers are not "unreliably low". See this post for the explanation and supporting links: #147
Believe whatever you like. QRoo (and especially Cozumel) has minimal testing and very few test kits to distribute. And the government has a vested interest in making sure the public numbers stay low.

Reactions: JFS

Back
Top Bottom