Cozumel Airport forbidden items

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On American Airlines site they have this
Restricted items − Baggage − American Airlines
which states:

"We allow up to 2 spare batteries for personal use, with restrictions:

• Each spare battery is individually protected in accordance with our lithium battery acceptance policy

• Batteries are in carry-on baggage only

• For a lithium metal battery, lithium content cannot be more than 2 grams per battery

• For a lithium-ion battery, total equivalent lithium content cannot be more than 8 grams per battery

• Up to two batteries may be carried as long as total lithium equivalent content is between 8 and 25 grams "
"
Well, No hassles with 7 gopros, 14 batteries (1 spare each), 4 dive lights (8 x 18650 batteries). And I REALLY thought it may be a hassle but they really are all for personal use, and only 1 spare battery per item. The customs guys seemed to think it was cool, all the tech in that little messenger bag. Based on those numbers the drone's batteries should be no problem as well..

Good luck checking in at Coz....

uhm.. went thru with everything but drone batteries (didn't have drone yet) just this past june. Both in and out of coz. Also had no issues last September with a few less gopros but still plenty of spare batteries for dive lights and my gopro. Maybe I was lucky, maybe its because I took the time to package them right, I dunno.. Just relaying my experience.

I'm just wondering if there is any relationship between being TSA Pre-select and getting away with bringing in stuff that non-preselect people have had confiscated. Personally I doubt if most foreign countries give a flying rat's butt about TSA Pre-select but still I suppose it could make a difference.

How many of us in this thread are TSA Pre-select?

I am, for one. The only thing they ever took from me was a lighter that I had in my pocket (instead of my carry-on). That was in Costa Rica. I do try to abide by all the rules, to the best of my understanding. Come to think of it, I don't recall having to take off my shoes in Cozumel or Cancun, but I could be mistaken. I'm pretty sure I didn't have to take off my shoes at the FOB terminal in Cancun when flying MAYAir. I just added a telescopic selfie stick to my gear so I'll see how that goes on the 16th.

I'm just wondering if there is any relationship between being TSA Pre-select and getting away with bringing in stuff that non-preselect people have had confiscated. Personally I doubt if most foreign countries give a flying rat's butt about TSA Pre-select but still I suppose it could make a difference.

I am, for one. The only thing they ever took from me was a lighter that I had in my pocket (instead of my carry-on). That was in Costa Rica. I do try to abide by all the rules, to the best of my understanding. Come to think of it, I don't recall having to take off my shoes in Cozumel or Cancun, but I could be mistaken. I'm pretty sure I didn't have to take off my shoes at the FOB terminal in Cancun when flying MAYAir. I just added a telescopic selfie stick to my gear so I'll see how that goes on the 16th.

I was TSA Pre-check. It made no difference leaving Mexico.

Lithium battery spares in carry on, NiMH Eneloops in checked bag, per the check-in agent. They still hand searched my carryon after going through the scanner where they flagged the 4 inch wrench and subsequently the mosquito repellant wipes. No issues once in the USA with TSA pre-check, easy and fast, even going through the customs kiosk was quick (Charlotte airport).

We have TSA precheck in Toronto. We also clear US customs and immigration in Toronto as well. Which means we always land in the domestic (vs international) terminal at arrival in the US.

Precheck makes no difference on the rules. in large airports it is a different security line manned by the same security guards. in small airports (like Kansas City) everyone goes through the same single line.

I was TSA Pre-check. It made no difference leaving Mexico.

Lithium battery spares in carry on, NiMH Eneloops in checked bag, per the check-in agent. They still hand searched my carryon after going through the scanner where they flagged the 4 inch wrench and subsequently the mosquito repellant wipes. No issues once in the USA with TSA pre-check, easy and fast, even going through the customs kiosk was quick (Charlotte airport).
There are 2 different concepts. TSA precheck is run by the TSA. So it is not available when bording a plane in Mexico. or almost anywhere else outside of the US.

Once you land in the US on an international flight, Global Entry can speed you past customs and immigration (not related to TSA).

Being part of the Trusted Traveller program provides access to both TSA precheck and Global Entry.

There are 2 different concepts. TSA precheck is run by the TSA. So it is not available when bording a plane in Mexico. or almost anywhere else outside of the US.

Once you land in the US on an international flight, Global Entry can speed you past customs and immigration (not related to TSA).

Being part of the Trusted Traveller program provides access to both TSA precheck and Global Entry.

My girlfriend was talking about Global Entry but I didn't know about Trusted Traveler. I suppose that's international too? Trusted Traveler sounds a lot different than "Known Traveler."

Last edited:
My girlfriend was talking about Global Entry but I didn't know about Trusted Traveler. I suppose that's international too?
global entry is one of the trusted traveler programs provided by US Customs and Border Protection (CBP)
Trusted Traveler Programs | U.S. Customs and Border Protection

we are Nexus which is a cooperative program between Canada's Border Protection Services Agency and the CBP. Nexus includes Global Entry and some other stuff (not just airport entry).

The TSA recognizes the CBP trusted travelers as TSA precheck peeps.

global entry is one of the trusted traveler programs provided by US Customs and Border Protection (CBP)
Trusted Traveler Programs | U.S. Customs and Border Protection

we are Nexus which is a cooperative program between Canada's Border Protection Services Agency and the CBP. Nexus includes Global Entry and some other stuff (not just airport entry).

The TSA recognizes the CBP trusted travelers as TSA precheck peeps.

Got it. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom