Cozumel Airport forbidden items

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uhm.. went thru with everything but drone batteries (didn't have drone yet) just this past june. Both in and out of coz. Also had no issues last September with a few less gopros but still plenty of spare batteries for dive lights and my gopro. Maybe I was lucky, maybe its because I took the time to package them right, I dunno.. Just relaying my experience.

Maybe it was just NiMH. I have gone through Coz several times with the batteries in the flash. This time I just had a 4 pack in the original packaging, like right off the shelf. Never opened and boom they found them and bye bye. I have had a spare camera battery for the Canon and it never was an issue. Maybe it is just AA they like?

We have Global Entry which give you a 'known traveler number' which gets you pre-check. 100 for five years which is only like 20 more than JUST pre-check. Does you no good leaving Mexico. Mexico DOES have their own, called Viajero Confiable, which is sort of the same thing as global entry. There are two kiosk in Cancun. Same deal as Global Entry, you apply, pay the fee and then do a interview at the airport. They do fingerprints AND a retinal scan. One up on Global Entry there. We had it for less than a year. The kiosks in Cancun never were open. We were told to just use the Mexican citizen line. Last time we did that, they asked to see our Viajero Confiable cards. I said there are no cards. They didn't believe me, so I had to pull up the email that said, there is no card.

Anyway, it would be REALLY cool if it worked, as sometimes the lines are a little long in Cancun. I have no idea if we got it fixed. We went ahead and got our permanent resident cards. In the reverse of the normal way, we have a slip of paper to turn in when we arrive, so we have to see a person to give it to.

Global entry coming back is awesome.

We have Global Entry which give you a 'known traveler number' which gets you pre-check. 100 for five years which is only like 20 more than JUST pre-check. Does you no good leaving Mexico. Mexico DOES have their own, called Viajero Confiable, which is sort of the same thing as global entry. There are two kiosk in Cancun. Same deal as Global Entry, you apply, pay the fee and then do a interview at the airport. They do fingerprints AND a retinal scan. One up on Global Entry there. We had it for less than a year. The kiosks in Cancun never were open. We were told to just use the Mexican citizen line. Last time we did that, they asked to see our Viajero Confiable cards. I said there are no cards. They didn't believe me, so I had to pull up the email that said, there is no card.

Anyway, it would be REALLY cool if it worked, as sometimes the lines are a little long in Cancun. I have no idea if we got it fixed. We went ahead and got our permanent resident cards. In the reverse of the normal way, we have a slip of paper to turn in when we arrive, so we have to see a person to give it to.

Global entry coming back is awesome.

The Viajero Confiable sounds great once they work out the details but I get the impression I'm going to need to learn a lot more Spanish in order to explain things, just in case. We will be doing three trips to Mexico this year and we are considering staying for an extended visit on Cozumel. From what I've read it sounds like we can stay for 180 days with a tourist visa.

I just got back from my own vacation so went through Coz airport of course - I stand corrected, they no longer have various displays of forbidden items - the OP is correct, the only one I could find this time was right as you enter security. There did used to be one as you walked in in front of the flight check-in area - but it's no longer there. But they did show me a card before I got in the line to check-in asking if I had any of "these" items - there was a list as well as some photos of prohibited items.

Would the same restrictions/rules apply to the Cancun airport?

Would the same restrictions/rules apply to the Cancun airport?
Pretty much the same thru out Mexico. Cozumel will see more scuba equipment so they are probable more familiar with scuba specific items.

From reading this thread, the short answer for Li-Ion batteries - put them in carry-on and installed in the device?

From reading this thread, the short answer for Li-Ion batteries - put them in carry-on and installed in the device?
In the device and with you works in both directions. The only confusing thing is extra batteries or LARGE batteries (or a Note 7 or a hover board or any other device that is in the news about causing explosions and fires)

Leaving Cozumel June 18th, my wife had about 10 lithium batteries (spare) for camera and lights confiscated as we went through the boarding line. She had them in a carry on and they did not care. It was either leave them or don't get on the airplane back to the US.

Leaving Cozumel June 18th, my wife had about 10 lithium batteries (spare) for camera and lights confiscated as we went through the boarding line. She had them in a carry on and they did not care. It was either leave them or don't get on the airplane back to the US.
How were they packaged?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom