Cozumel Airport forbidden items

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSA was going to take away my can of refried beans in Houston but I talked them out of it (I was not planning on eating them on the plane :wink: ). They did, however, almost take my Red-Line filter water bottle but I managed to get them to let me dump the water out. Of course I had to go through security again. The funny part is that was the first time ever that they didn't make me open my carry-on. They usually want to look at my dive gear. I guess it as long as they get me for something...

5-6 years ago on my way out of Cozumel I had the same experience of having to throw my rechargeable batteries in that big garbage can of sorrow. That thing was filled to the top with stuff! Just wondering what they do with it all. It must have $$$$ worth of rechargeable batteries and dive tools in them.

I've brought my UWLD 1500 four times to Cozumel. Each time I've transported it in carry on both ways. I always expect trouble but have never even had a agent ask me about it.
On my way to Bonaire via Newark I did get the fifth degree from a new agent though.

Gaack! Just think then what DEET can do to your skin, the largest organ of your body. Give me Picaridin any day.

That's a silly analogy. You can drink and eat foods that could easiy damage fabrics or other things. Think vinegar, hot sauce, hot coffee and even Coke. DEET does not melt your skin nor is it toxic to the dermis or epidermis. Stop spreading misinformation.

Does the "wipes" ban apply to DEET wipes only, or does it include disinfecting wipes?

Anyone? Or is this a stupid question?

Anyone? Or is this a stupid question?

I am not sure if the they took my DEET packets because they were packets or because it was DEET. The MX TSA person didn't speak much English and she only saw it when she went for my wrench that she also confiscated. We had some hand wipe packets in my wife's bag that they did not take, although they didn't hand search her purse.

I've travelled to Cozumel a dozen times and never had any issue with the wrench (less than 4 inches) or the DEET that has travelled there for years in my carry on.

I think it is a good question but I also think it is a moving target dependent on the person doing the checking. Next time I will check the display cases before checking in.

Any info on larger Lithium batteries, say for a can light? I am looking to traveling to Cozumel in Feb for some trimix & cave diving.
Cozumel has so many divers passing through that the airport is very accommodating towards dive lights and equipment, they see it every day. With a large battery you may have problems with the TSA. Over the last year there have been several issues and incidents with Lithium batteries and it is a hot button item for the various airlines. The current FAA site directs you to this reg: HTML&h=L&r=SECTION&n=49y2.1.1.3.12.1.25.5

If I had large battery of any type I would contact manufacture and get a letter or spec sheet that states the battery complies with the reg and have it handy in case an airline agent or TSA questions it while traveling in the USA.

My general rule of thumb has been to take all batteries with me in carryon. I have a messenger bag that I use for my laptop and GoPro stuff, and in that I take several 18650 rechargables for my lights, several GoPro batteries, and now on my upcoming trip to Utila I will be adding a few LiPo batteries for my Phantom drone and batteries for a pair of Kodak SP360 4k's. I guess I have gotten lucky going thru Cancun, Cozumel, San Pedro Sula and even, lol, Utila and my US connecting cities, Atlanta and Miami (I fly from Newark, NJ). Batteries are always individually wrapped to protect the contacts (The airlines are most worried about contact being made / short and then fire from what I understand). Always thought I would be hassled and so far, so good. On my last trip to Cozumel I brought my 7 cam 3d printed gopro rig, and because I was fearful of it breaking (its rather fragile) I carried it on a selfie pole. Yes, lots of attention, like "whats that" or "you can't film in here" (wasn't filming anyway) but nobody gave me issues. I was more worried about someone smashing me on the head and running away with it to be honest!

I did read a TSA posting about limits on batteries, either a max number of watts / watt hours / amps, or something like that. Basically everything I have was well under the limit. Those kids hoverboards are a huge offender as their batteries are just too large. I wish I bookmarked the TSA page..

You have to wonder why there isn't a simple set of rules published explaining how to avoid this confusion.

Back
Top Bottom