Cozumel Airport forbidden items

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Experience with Luggage and especially batteries in "exotic" destinations is that it's more or less pure luck and randomness. Depends on who's on duty that day.
E.g. international regulations say to transport Lithium Batteries in carry-on. The guys at Marsa Alam Airport in Egypt told me to put them in the checked baggage, because they would be removed from my carry-on. Did that, checked my bags and realised that i forgot some of my Dive Light Batteries (26650) in my Backpack. The Carry-On guys didn't care at all... i guess they didn't even look at the display of the X-Ray machine...

Making our first trip to Coz the beginning of October. Let me see if I have this correct - flying down, all batteries in carry-ons (two pelican cases of camera gear). Flying back, all batteries not installed in gear in checked, swap over before connecting flight in US.

As to the Allen wrenches being donated, I am a below knee amputee and between swapping the dive prosthetic and the walking prosthetic multiple times during a dive trip and about 30 "set" screws for various alignments, I ALWAYS have an allen wrench on me, especially after diving in case one loosens up after I put the walking prosthetic back on. If it is medically required, can I carry it on?

Our normal carry-on luggage consists of two backpacks with reg sets, dive computers, meds and a change of clothes, etc. and two carry-on sized Pelican cases with all camera gear, strobes, batteries, etc. Any issues flying in/out of Coz with this setup?

Making our first trip to Coz the beginning of October. Let me see if I have this correct - flying down, all batteries in carry-ons (two pelican cases of camera gear). Flying back, all batteries not installed in gear in checked, swap over before connecting flight in US.

As to the Allen wrenches being donated, I am a below knee amputee and between swapping the dive prosthetic and the walking prosthetic multiple times during a dive trip and about 30 "set" screws for various alignments, I ALWAYS have an allen wrench on me, especially after diving in case one loosens up after I put the walking prosthetic back on. If it is medically required, can I carry it on?

Hi LL, It is of course understandable that having an Allen wrench with you to make adjustments and repairs for your prosthesis is very important. However, it is difficult to make the call that the Cozumel Security Screening agents will feel the same. PERHAPS a physician note may help, however, I would be prepared to have ANY TOOLS possibly confiscated. Therefore, I advise to make sure to double check all the adjustments before going through Cozumel security just in case your Allen wrench is confiscated. Also, If possible, pack an extra Allen wrench in your checked luggage. This way, if the first tool is confiscated, you will at least have one upon arrival back to the USA. In addition LL, you mention this is your first trip to Cozumel. If you have not already, please do check out the Updated "Arriving and Departing the Cozumel Airport " Sticky at the top of the Forum. I will warn you, it is a bit lengthy, but it full of info. Overall, Best Wishes to you and yours LL and have a Fantastic Dive Vacation !!!

Double S

Our normal carry-on luggage consists of two backpacks with reg sets, dive computers, meds and a change of clothes, etc. and two carry-on sized Pelican cases with all camera gear, strobes, batteries, etc. Any issues flying in/out of Coz with this setup?

Hi LL, It is of course understandable that having an Allen wrench with you to make adjustments and repairs for your prosthesis is very important. However, it is difficult to make the call that the Cozumel Security Screening agents will feel the same. PERHAPS a physician note may help, however, I would be prepared to have ANY TOOLS possibly confiscated. Therefore, I advise to make sure to double check all the adjustments before going through Cozumel security just in case your Allen wrench is confiscated. Also, If possible, pack an extra Allen wrench in your checked luggage. This way, if the first tool is confiscated, you will at least have one upon arrival back to the USA. In addition LL, you mention this is your first trip to Cozumel. If you have not already, please do check out the Updated "Arriving and Departing the Cozumel Airport " Sticky at the top of the Forum. I will warn you, it is a bit lengthy, but it full of info. Overall, Best Wishes to you and yours LL and have a Fantastic Dive Vacation !!!

Oops, sorry for the double post....

Sue Sue. Double Double. Posts Posts. :wink:

Add those colorful, layered candles that have little shells in them to the list. They say Cozumel on them, sold at all the crap, er, I mean gift shops.... My daughter bought them for gifts and they took 'em all. Not sure why? I guess we could have started a fire? Oh wait, they took the bic lighter in my son's backpack, so unless we had some sticks to rub together.... Oh well, who knows?! LOL

Yes Kixy, Yes Kixy ..... still can not figure out the ban on candles.....Perhaps there is a concern that something is in them or made of a material that is explosive....I will add or perhaps MMM will add candels to the STICKY paragraph of what is not allowed as carry on for return trips...

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned vanilla. The last time I visited the Cozumel airport my understanding was that it had to go into a checked bag. Recently I read that there is now some kind of "approved" bag that it can be put in (purchased in?) that allows it to be taken in a carry-on. Anyone done this? I rarely bring a checked bag and even more rarely pass up the opportunity to buy Mexican vanilla. I just looked at the TSA page and didn't see anything like that. Matter-of-fact I think I may be guilty of flying with too big of a zip-lock bag. :( And now I'm wondering how I got all of those AA batteries through security so many times.

(later that evening...)

I found it. They are called STEBs and apparently are only available in duty-free stores.

Last edited:
With 7 returns through cozumel with carry on only I've never had a problem yet. Small sample size of experience, but dive lights, tools and candles all travelled no trouble. Needed to explain the purposes in bad Spanish and polite English however.

I did have tinned sardines taken away and also refried beans confiscated. (Perhaps as a courtesy to the follow passengers). On the same theme I did get a few looks for giving away tequila shots before security when I found I hadn't made use of it on the trip.

Seems results may vary.

Good luck,
Cameron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom