Cozumel Airport Prohibited Items Question, Specifically Batteries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It has nothing to do with risk,
I had a set of screwdriver keys similar to these seized off my key chain.
View attachment 705214
The rule is 'no tools', without a definition or limitation of what is a 'tool'. These are primarily contract workers without job protection so often they strictly follow the rules to protect their jobs. It can be very frustrating but in their minds feeding their children often comes first over common sense.
It's not just a Mexico thing, when you get on the plane the FAA will fine the airline and FA if they do not teach you how to use that newfangled thing call a seat belt.

Thanks. I was not aware of the "no tools" rule, but I never fly with tools so had to reason to become aware of it. I've learned something new!

I was not aware of the "no tools" rule
I think it's always been on the list, but it's challenging to keep all of it committed to memory. My home bud had an allen wrench set in his carry-on for some reason one trip that stopped us as security. I told him he'd have to trash it, but it was a family pass-down so he wouldn't. He went back to the ticket counter to beg them to save it for him, but that counter closes in this small airport so the same agents can work the flight. I was at the gate unaware of some of this but finally learned that he was waiting at an empty counter and got an agent to go back and tend to him, then amazingly got the flight delayed a few minutes. A lot of this is impossible, but we tried, and it worked once. At least they don't confiscate nail clippers anymore. The specific list does go on and on: What Can I Bring? | Transportation Security Administration

Hi,

I lost a scuba tool to airport security in Cozumel a few years back and since I have a house there I did some work to find out why. It's their policy to not allow tools into the secure areas with passengers because the tools can be used to open panels etc to hide drugs. Its not really a security/safety issue as it is a policy against smuggling.

Cheers D

For the first time ever, back in Nov/Dec, I saw a lady who wasn’t allowed to take an item of clothing (may have been a hat of some type) that she was wearing as it had a thin wire stitched into it. She was fighting a losing battle, very upset that she couldn’t take the wire out of the hat.

Personally I haven’t experienced any issue carrying, in or out of Cozumel airport, any batteries: loose batteries in my headphones case, lithium video light battery, small flashlight w/batteries inside, extra coin type batteries for my computer.

For the first time ever, back in Nov/Dec, I saw a lady who wasn’t allowed to take an item of clothing (may have been a hat of some type) that she was wearing as it had a thin wire stitched into it. She was fighting a losing battle, very upset that she couldn’t take the wire out of the hat.

Personally I haven’t experienced any issue carrying, in or out of Cozumel airport, any batteries: loose batteries in my headphones case, lithium video light battery, small flashlight w/batteries inside, extra coin type batteries for my computer.
Wow, that's picky. The sun hats I wear on Cozumel have wired brims; I guess time I am departing Cozumel I'll wear a ball cap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom