Covid mask wearing protocol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not suggesting anything; I was just pointing out the difference between the two ways of looking at the risk - the micro and the macro points of view. The micro is not all there is to it.

Yeah, and I also understand that virtually ANY statement on this point will (1) generate a lot of backlash, and (2) be flagged as off topic. But I'll accept THAT risk, just to say this.

Pretty much all of our discussions about "risk" on ScubaBoard center around the personal assumption of risk. That model has almost nothing to do with decisions about mitigation practices and the elimination of unnecessary travel during a pandemic.

I totally get it that unless we stay in strict quarantine, we are increasing public risk to some degree, one way or the other. So, yes, we are making those decisions every day. But stuff we do to increase viral transmission rates in the community absolutely does increase spread, cases, hospitalizations and deaths. And the excess deaths will probably be people that no one here will ever know. That's not opinion, that's just pandemic math. If I pick up groceries, that's a non-zero increase in that risk. I'm not being a fanatic about this - I have been on a local dive boat several times this season. The devil is in the details.

So say you are going to travel to dive destination A, with COVID testing on dates B and C, wearing masks in place D and E, keeping F feet between us and other people, when the local positive rate is G%. All I'm suggesting is that when deciding whether or not the decision is correct, at least acknowledge in the discussion the overall risk to the population at whole. Saying "I went for a trip and I was fine" really misses the point.

If there were rampant contagion from travel, ie flying, the news would be all over That!

Its pretty much proven by now flying is safer than a visit to your local Bodega!

Following common sense while abroad, especially since the world thats open is on sale right now, will prove a rewarding experience for those that travel in the meantime...we enjoyed Soooooo many great outside dining venues in CZM and now in Puerto Morelos...back home in the cold, we would be eating at home for the foreseeable future:(

Really folks, if your on the fence ....jump.

If there were rampant contagion from travel, ie flying, the news would be all over That!

Its pretty much proven by now flying is safer than a visit to your local Bodega!

Right, the actual flying part itself is quite safe, due to a combination of enforced mask usage, controlled ventilation and other hygiene measures in a situation where people are already accepting of strictly enforced rules. The issue is more of how viral transmission is increased just by the act of moving people from one location to the other.

Again, don't read this as saying that there is no argument justifying travel. I just want people to at least consider the actual tradeoffs, instead of the false sense of security that comes from saying "I made my own personal risk assessment, did something, and didn't experience a problem myself".

Again, don't read this as saying that there is no argument justifying travel. I just want people to at least consider the actual tradeoffs, instead of the false sense of security that comes from saying "I made my own personal risk assessment, did something, and didn't experience a problem myself".
Right. A friend of mine has two 20-something stepsons who firmly contend that there is no virus at all and that the pandemic is an elaborate worldwide hoax. They go out to bars and restaurants and they haven't gotten sick, and that's all the proof they need.

From everything I've read, I would guess that those who are very old or in poor health should avoid travel.
Does anyone know if Ivermectin or hydroxychloroquine available over the counter on the island?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom