Covid mask wearing protocol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The more I look at the actual data being reported (primarily deaths/100,000), the more amazed I am at some of the comments here.

I do a 90 minute mountain bike ride almost every day and each time I go I run into hikers who are miles from the trailhead alone and wearing a mask. This whole thing is an interesting study in human nature.

I'm REALLY looking forward to resuming dive trips next year but based on what is going on now I think it will be 2022 or maybe even 2023 before many people think we are "safe" again.

uh, where is this exactly? Asking for a friend, of course.

One of them things I'd just have to show you, we don't draw maps that someone else could find!

One of them things I'd just have to show you, we don't draw maps that someone else could find!

You mean the strip club south of the new port?

The problem with determining risk for an infectious disease that affects different people differently is that you could be fine but then transmit it to a person who is not and then suffers, all while being completely unaware of what happened. At least in an auto accident, it is usually quite apparent what happened and what the dangers and damages are to most involved parties. It’s like being a mini Typhoid Mary.

That being said, once I get the vaccine, I’ll feel more confident in crowded local spaces, and once more people other than myself get the vaccine, then I’ll feel more comfortable traveling without putting other people in potential jeopardy. It’ll be a bit odd at first because I’ll probably be a couple of months earlier than the rest of my family as I’m in a priority group and they are not.

The problem with determining risk for an infectious disease that affects different people differently is that you could be fine but then transmit it to a person who is not and then suffers, all while being completely unaware of what happened. At least in an auto accident, it is usually quite apparent what happened and what the dangers and damages are to most involved parties. It’s like being a mini Typhoid Mary.

That being said, once I get the vaccine, I’ll feel more confident in crowded local spaces, and once more people other than myself get the vaccine, then I’ll feel more comfortable traveling without putting other people in potential jeopardy. It’ll be a bit odd at first because I’ll probably be a couple of months earlier than the rest of my family as I’m in a priority group and they are not.

What if you already had it?

From what I have read the concentration of antibodies in the blood of COVID survivors is much lower than in that of vaccinated people. Even if I'd had it I would still get vaccinated.

From what I have read the concentration of antibodies in the blood of COVID survivors is much lower than in that of vaccinated people. Even if I'd had it I would still get vaccinated.

I don't disagree with you, but you are supposed to have some time limited immunity (amount of time is unknown). Given that, would you travel to go diving after getting over it?

That being said, once I get the vaccine, I’ll feel more confident in crowded local spaces, and once more people other than myself get the vaccine, then I’ll feel more comfortable traveling without putting other people in potential jeopardy.

One thing to remember - there are two things that you can test for with vaccines. (1) does it keep you from dying if you get the infection, and (2) does it prevent you from spreading the infection to others? Because of time constraints, most of the testing looked at question one. And there is some evidence that increased IgG levels from a vaccine might not be as helpful for a respiratory borne pathogen where IgA is an important component of immunity. Unfortunately, this is one of the many things that we don't know yet.

So even when you get the vaccine (I got the first dose last week), continue to keep all of the mitigation practices in mind, watch your local numbers and remember that experience with other diseases suggests that asymptomatic spread is possible, even from vaccinated people.

How is everybody else supposed to know whether you’ve had it or if you’ve not had it, other than your word for it? There are lots of motivations not to be truthful. I’d still get the vaccine, unless you’ve had it and have been treated with a monoclonal antibody that would simply bind to the vaccine antigen and make it unavailable for your own immune system to react against.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom