Covid mask wearing protocol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@ChuckP
It is offensive to me that you single out Americans as being selfish. I witnessed plenty of selfish locals, Canadians as well as Americans while I was in Coz.
On the other hand, there is a reason why the US has the second highest COVID infection rate, normalized for population, of all the countries in the world (the UK is higher but not by much). It's more than 8X that of Mexico. Source: Biweekly cases per million people

On the other hand, there is a reason why the US has the second highest COVID infection rate, normalized for population, of all the countries in the world (the UK is higher but not by much). It's more than 8X that of Mexico. Source: Biweekly cases per million people
There is a reason, but it's not what you think it is.

That might very well be correct but the USA has performed more tests than any other country other than the UK. The countries doing more testing will also be the countries with the highest (known) infection rate. The crap is everywhere you just may not have the 'numbers' to prove it. Numbers can be played many different ways depending on the desired outcome you want to present.

I talked to our Divemaster today and asked him how he felt about us coming down there during Covid and that we had reservations about coming down, getting sick or getting anyone else sick.

To paraphrase: "you can only shut down so long. No work, no income. It's getting back to normal finally."

That's just one divemaster's opinion, of course. Dude has 7 kids. Read into that what you will.

Quite a lot of dive boats out today. Some of them packed with people with about 20% of people wearing masks on board. Walking down the pier past that particular packed boat and none were speaking english. Not sure where they were from. Not Spanish either.

Interesting observations while here - just to make a point that Cozumelenos are more careful, generally, but not immune to the same "risky" things that we do in the US:

- Dive captain kept pulling down his mask to talk to us. Didn't bother me a bit. 15 mph winds and he was downwind from us.
- Server at restaurant wearing his mask very loose and below his nose. Bothered me a little bit, but not enough to leave or say anything. He even took a selfie with us in the background (as a joke) with his mask down!
- Cook in the back of restaurant with a bandana, loose at the bottom. I hope my food is very hot to kill the virus(es)
- Nobody, so far, has asked us to step into the trays of shoe sanitizer. I didn't even know what they were at first. Just walked around them. I commented to the host that it was a good idea. He said "yea, someone walking down the sidewalk goes "schpitttt" (he pulls down his mask and simulates spitting) so we have to clean your shoes."

But, they are trying harder than my hometown in the US, IMHO.

Diving has been really good, so far. Only saw one nurse shark, though, a few eagle rays, very few eels. Couple of toadfish, pipefish, tiny quarter-sized flounder, the rest of the usual suspects.

- Dive captain kept pulling down his mask to talk to us. Didn't bother me a bit. 15 mph winds and he was downwind from us.

Variations of this make me shake my head. Talking expels many times more viral particles than simply breathing, and laughing or shouting many times more than that. It would make more logical sense to wear your mask down while simply breathing through your nose and pull it up when you need to talk.

Variations of this make me shake my head. Talking expels many times more viral particles than simply breathing, and laughing or shouting many times more than that. It would make more logical sense to wear your mask down while simply breathing through your nose and pull it up when you need to talk.
What does logical sense have to do with it?

I had a thought: for those of you not wanting to travel to Cozumel so that you don't infect the locals, why not get ahold of your favorite divemaster / dive shop / hotel owner / restaurant and ask there opinion? Serious. Many people are on Facebook and I know a lot of you are regulars and might have their cell phones, emails, etc.

My guess is that you'd get a resounding "yes! Come on down!" from the majority.

Might as well get here before the cruise ships start visiting again.

Testing in Cozumel is/was a joke. I had one fellow tell me he had symptoms but the test said he did not have covid. I asked what sort of test he said "a blood test". For real! Even now there are many people in Cozumel who believe a blood test will detect Covid!

Dave Dillehay

I had a thought: for those of you not wanting to travel to Cozumel so that you don't infect the locals, why not get ahold of your favorite divemaster / dive shop / hotel owner / restaurant and ask there opinion? Serious. Many people are on Facebook and I know a lot of you are regulars and might have their cell phones, emails, etc.

My guess is that you'd get a resounding "yes! Come on down!" from the majority.

Might as well get here before the cruise ships start visiting again.
Been twice in the past 5 months! And I'm ready to go again....safer than any place in the US of A!

Back
Top Bottom