Covid mask wearing protocol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How is everybody else supposed to know whether you’ve had it or if you’ve not had it, other than your word for it? There are lots of motivations not to be truthful. I’d still get the vaccine, unless you’ve had it and have been treated with a monoclonal antibody that would simply bind to the vaccine antigen and make it unavailable for your own immune system to react against.

I can show a positive test result. The question about travel after, say, 30 days of testing positive, and no symptoms.

I don't disagree with you, but you are supposed to have some time limited immunity (amount of time is unknown). Given that, would you travel to go diving after getting over it?

Some States test the level of antibodies and exempt those who show immunity from wearing masks.
The case I know of, the subject is still good 10 months later.

Interesting how tourists are feared and blamed for the spread. Seems like the areas in Mexico faring the best are the tourist areas while the areas that are deep red dumpster fires are places that seldom see a tourist.

I went to Coz in late Aug. To be honest, I felt safer there than at Wal Mart. I'm heading to PDC in Feb.

Same here. I just came back from Cocos, 2 weeks ago. I had to have negative PCR swab test result certificate & travel insurance that covered COVID-19 related medical expense up to $50,000 & $2000 of quarantine cost. That requirement had screened out potential spreader & if we get the virus, we will be responsible for our medical cost. The trip went well. Everyone was fine & had a great time.

I felt more safe there than at home. They have different attitude towards the pandemic than us. Some of us here just simply don't believe that mask is a good way to prevent the spreading. When I landed in Houston (IAH) and going through immigration, a guy in front of me just wearing mask on the chin, useless. When I went to the grocery store (HEB) yesterday, the same thing, mask on the chin. I wonder if they wear their underwears the same way (their peckers sticking over their underwear).

I'll be going to Socorro in 2 weeks. Same protocol is applied. Nautilus even add additional precautionary of monitoring and logging our temperature 2x / day for 7 days prior to boarding and when we board the boat we need to submit that temperature report & the negative PCR test certificate.

We're planning on going to Cozumel in February and all I want to know is what is the proper protocol for mask wearing in Mexico.

We're planning on going to Cozumel in February and all I want to know is what is the proper protocol for mask wearing in Mexico.

I think it is already answered several times in page one. Here is one answer:
Walking down the street without a mask on is not officially allowed, but does occur without police involvement. But you will get lots of dirty looks or comments. Cozumel is much stricter in all aspects of Covid prevention than here in Texas. At least that was my perception last Wednesday as I returned to Texas for Christmas.

Dave Dillehay

From what I have read the concentration of antibodies in the blood of COVID survivors is much lower than in that of vaccinated people. Even if I'd had it I would still get vaccinated.
That's interesting. Do you have a link?
I assume the same amount of time has passed between determining the concentration of antibodies and the covid-illness/vaccination?

The concentration of anti-bodies will go down in time, unless the immune system is triggered by a new virus contact. The blood plasma donations (from former Covid patients) over the last year have shown that.
But it's still too soon to determine if our immune system is capable of reproducing antibodies after a longer time, so when no more antibodies are present in your system and you come in contact with the virus again. At that moment, the immune system should produce antibodies 'from memory', and if the vaccine makes that possible, mankind has won the battle.

Interesting how tourists are feared and blamed for the spread

Is there a legitimate reference indicating tourists are being blamed for spread that can be shared here, or is this conjecture? Outside of Bonaire, I’ve not seen enough contact tracing to confirm anything like this.

As far as "feared", it makes sense that tourists would be feared especially if they aren’t following the rules and are traveling from areas with higher infection rates. It says a lot that potential tourists even ask about "mask protocols". It’s a global pandemic. Everyone should be following all the CDC recommended precautions everywhere, even if they refuse to believe the simple science of why.

ETA: it does make sense to ask about protocols if there is a concern there may not be any.

Locals in tourist areas have a very strong incentive to implement and follow protocols - they want the tourists to feel that it is safe to visit, so it’s easy to understand why infection rates would be lower. I would propose that poor and inner city areas of Mexico and the US have higher infection rates because of high population density, low availability of PPE and poor medical care.

Reactions: Dan

At least wear a mask when indoors (airport, taxis, buses, restaurants, stores, hotel lobbies). Your boat captain may or may not require you to wear one to and from the dive sites. Wearing a mask in public is encouraged, but not enforced. That may be different if you were to go to an outdoor gathering where social distancing can't be done.

Is there a legitimate reference indicating tourists are being blamed for spread that can be shared here, or is this conjecture? Outside of Bonaire, I’ve not seen enough contact tracing to confirm anything like this.

As far as "feared", it makes sense that tourists would be feared especially if they aren’t following the rules and are traveling from areas with higher infection rates. It says a lot that potential tourists even ask about "mask protocols". It’s a global pandemic. Everyone should be following all the CDC recommended precautions everywhere, even if they refuse to believe the simple science of why.

ETA: it does make sense to ask about protocols if there is a concern there may not be any.

Locals in tourist areas have a very strong incentive to implement and follow protocols - they want the tourists to feel that it is safe to visit, so it’s easy to understand why infection rates would be lower. I would propose that poor and inner city areas of Mexico and the US have higher infection rates because of high population density, low availability of PPE and poor medical care.

I'm not talking about official blame but the frequent posts commenting on how tourists flaunt the rules and are a threat. If it were really true, then shouldn't that result in spread? Shouldn't tourist areas be the hot spots?

It makes sense to ask about mask protocols any time you want to know what they are. Different places are doing different things.

Also, believing that certain procedures are effective and others are pure theater doesn't equate to not taking the virus seriously. CDC has flipflopped on the precautions a few times.

Back
Top Bottom