Question Cost of servicing of regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you get the free parts for life programme for your Apeks regulator? That helps keeping the cost lower when you get your regulator serviced.
I do not know if there was a free parts for life program. Since I do not recall hearing anything about that, I will say I don't have it.

My LDS charges a Bench Fee of $60 plus parts. I think I saw parts for a MK25 with S600 and R195 at about $105...so around $165. Annual inspection is $30. If you have parts for life on the regulator AND follow the annual requirements for inspections and service you average $45 a year per set.
Thank you for the breakdown of prices. I will use it as a loose gauge to see if I am paying way too much.

After reading some posts, i am embarrased to say $250 per set, 2 sets
A little on the expensive side but if you take a look at my example of $40 per stage with a first, second and alternate plus even $30 per stage parts kits it mounts up really quickly. You will notice that many people with multiple reg sets here on Scubaboard service their own.

I paid $35–$40 per stage for servicing my Apeks SM regs, so two sets. I do have parts for life.

If I pay the local guy it's $50 out the door per stage. If I pay the one a little farther away $45 + parts. If I send them to @Jim Lapenta It's even better (plus the service is bar none)... but the shipping is where I come even.

If I do it myself... about $20-25 a stage.

I have Hogs

My rate is $45.00 per hour plus parts and return shipping and I break it down by the 1/4 or 1/3rd of an hour. Depends on how bad the reg is. 2nd stages are usually 15 minutes so 11.25 labor. If it's a little corroded or dirty then the extra 5 minutes takes the labor to 15.00.
1st stages are usually 45 minutes so 33.75 labor plus the kit. This includes O2 cleaning because I treat all regs as if they will be used with O2 and so it's no extra labor or time.
If a shop is charging extra for O2 cleaning you have to wonder why and just what are they doing when the reg is not going to be O2 cleaned.
Usually a set at these rates runs a total of 110-120 for a 1st and both seconds plus return shipping. Pretty much anywhere in the US for a single set is 15-25 dollars depending on the amount of insurance required/asked for.
I don't charge labor by the stage because those who don't take care of their regs should pay more and those who do take care of their stuff, deserve a break for being conscientious about the gear.
I have had to spend nearly an hour and a half on a really nasty 1st stage and I wanted the owner to know that neglect was going to cost him.

Did it also include service for the console/SPG? How about hoses?

If it makes you feel better my 1st rebuild was $160 in 2017 and since they couldn't technically fix one of the 2nds I didn't even get a working set back. Don't be embarrassed.. we've all been there.

My current cost was the reg rebuild class ~ $200 or so, and the tools to do it, maybe another $2-250. My regs also come with parts for life (rebuild kit every 2 years) after taking the class. Deep 6 is great to work with, 1st rebuild is included in the purchase of a new reg.

If I was having someone else do it I'd go to @Jim Lapenta. He's been nothing but great to work with the few times I've needed help or bought stuff from him. Written the manuals on both Hog and Deep 6 (and I'm sure plenty more).

My LDS charges $30/stg (Canadian)
2 x Apeks DST + XTX50

1654186565544.png

Did it also include service for the console/SPG? How about hoses?
Unless the hoses are replaced most kits come with replacement o-rings for the hose. Should not be any extra charge for the 5 seconds it takes to replace it. The SPG requires a $2-3.00 HP spool. No real labor involved. Unless it's in a boot. Takes 2 minutes to remove most from one. Maybe charge 5 bucks then for the spool and time needed total. Mostly it's done as a goodwill gesture because the mark up on kits more than covers the spool and tiny bit of labor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom