Question Cost of servicing of regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JnJ

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I recently had my Apeks regulators serviced. The cost was much higher than I anticipated. Does the brand of regulator affect the cost of service? I live in the Houston area and I bought regulators when I was living abroad. I don't get to dive as much as I would like so I am looking into my expenditures for this sport. I like the peace of mind I get from using my own equipment so I am going to stay away from "just rent" solutions. So this is mainly a question of cost of service in relation to brand.

Thanks in advance for your input.

In days gone by, a basic service (no extra cleaning) would run $25/stage + parts kits and other parts not usually serviced. I am unsure what parts kits cost for your reg, or how much extra effort was necessary, but I'm sure current labor rates might be nearly double that, and parts kits are $20-$50/stage depending on what they are. If you are sealing the reg, costs go up more...

A local shop charges $40 per stage plus parts which can mount up quite quickly as most manufacturers make a large markup on the parts. Learning how to check your regulator can allow you to extend service intervals. The purchase of an intermediate pressure checker, about $20.00, will help you identify any issues with the 1st. stage.

Initial I dove regs for 2 years sold on eBay and bought new regs and cane out better than paying for service. I really like my current regs and have had them for 6-7 years and a couple services. If they didn’t dive so well I would continue to buy/sell.

Did you get the free parts for life programme for your Apeks regulator? That helps keeping the cost lower when you get your regulator serviced.

Average service where I am would be 80USD for a 1st stage and 2 second stages. Just had my Cressi serviced and thats with parts having to be orded in from abroad

My LDS charges a Bench Fee of $60 plus parts. I think I saw parts for a MK25 with S600 and R195 at about $105...so around $165. Annual inspection is $30. If you have parts for life on the regulator AND follow the annual requirements for inspections and service you average $45 a year per set.

Back
Top Bottom