Cost of service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gelirfella

Contributor
Reaction score
I’m trying to get a sense of reasonable cost of service + parts for regs, valves, etc. I have 2 first stages, 1 second stage, a manifold, and a valve that all need to be serviced. I realize it won’t be cheap but I’d like to have a good sense of what is felt reasonable pricing currently for regulator servicing and valve rebuilds.

What brand/model of regs?

I have a set of Apeks regs (DS4 plus 2 ATX50) that was due for service earlier this year. I was also looking at buying a set of used Apeks regs (DST and 2 XTX50), so I called my LDS to get a quote. They quoted $70 per kit plus $240 labour per set. So with taxes, over $500 per set. That price for the kits seems outrageous to me - especially for the kit for the 2nds which is nothing but some O-rings and one small plastic part. So I called 3 other shops (across the country) and got the same quoted price for the kits, some variety on labour, and variation on whether the service included things like the SPG or inflator hose connectors.

So, for Apeks regs, that's one data point. I'm betting kits for other makes/models might be cheaper - I'd be interested to hear.

Service alone at my shop for Scubapro MK25s x 2 and 1 g260 is $287. They quoted me an extra 200 if they needed to change the pistons. Based on what I’m seeing sounds like it’s maybe slightly higher but not by much than the going rate.

Service alone at my shop for Scubapro MK25s x 2 and 1 g260 is $287. They quoted me an extra 200 if they needed to change the pistons. Based on what I’m seeing sounds like it’s maybe slightly higher but not by much than the going rate.
It will depend on where in America you're located. That would be outrageous here...

When I bought my regs, etc at my LDS, the owner also quoted me the current price of service for those items when purchased from his shop. This is also the same shop I've received most of my training, and the sponsor of several trips I've been on. I think I prefer to pay for my service my way. What I read here .... wow.

Paying money to someone else to work on your stuff
I would rather dig a hole in clay with a spade, forever

Service alone at my shop for Scubapro MK25s x 2 and 1 g260 is $287.
2 first stages and one second? Or might those be reversed?

They quoted me an extra 200 if they needed to change the pistons. Based on what I’m seeing sounds like it’s maybe slightly higher but not by much than the going rate.
If that price is for service of a total of 3 stages, it sounds quite high. The shops around me tend to charge around $35 per stage for service. Parts are extra, but I can’t imagine service kits for three stages being anywhere close to the difference.

2 first stages and one second? Or might those be reversed?

If that price is for service of a total of 3 stages, it sounds quite high. The shops around me tend to charge around $35 per stage for service. Parts are extra, but I can’t imagine service kits for three stages being anywhere close to the difference.
US prices seems expensive

UK prices for 1 first stage and 2 second stage including parts for apeks is about £100 - £120 or US$120 - US$150

US prices seems expensive

UK prices for 1 first stage and 2 second stage including parts for apeks is about £100 - £120 or US$120 - US$150
Maybe, I guess it depends on how much the service kits cost. I honestly have no idea as I don’t pay extra for that. So, at the shop I use, I pay $105 for a regulator with a 1st, primary, and octo. That doesn’t seem so expensive compared to UK rates.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom