Question Cost of servicing of regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you don't have one already, buy an Intermediate Pressure gauge and learn how to use it. It's a great indicator of issues or not in your 1st stage.

Apeks are great regs, and, unless you're careless, should not need service annually. If you have a DIY mentality, you can learn to service them yourself. There are resources here on Scubaboard to help in that area, including finding sources for parts.

Good luck!

If you don't have one already, buy an Intermediate Pressure gauge and learn how to use it. It's a great indicator of issues or not in your 1st stage.

Apeks are great regs, and, unless you're careless, should not need service annually. If you have a DIY mentality, you can learn to service them yourself. There are resources here on Scubaboard to help in that area, including finding sources for parts.

Good luck!
Much appreciated. I do like to DIY I just need to acquire some knowledge. I will look around the forum to find some information on servicing.

Much appreciated. I do like to DIY I just need to acquire some knowledge. I will look around the forum to find some information on servicing.
Follow @rsingler for when he gives his excellent weekend seminar. There are two great books for learning about servicing regs. Regulator Savvy is one that is still available. I believe that Scuba Regulator Maintenance and Repair : A Complete All-Makes Guide to Scuba Regulator Servicing, Troubleshooting, Repair and Tuning by Vance Harlow is considered to be better (I have both) is a better one. I suggest acquiring both.

@rsingler is THE MAN for impartial regulator advise/information. There's some real bias towards/against some brands by folks here on ScubaBoard that is sometimes disingenuous.

Most shops in my area are $40 per stage plus parts. Apeks kits are $45 for first and $25 for second retail.
That would make a standard recreational setup $215 plus tax.

Follow @rsingler for when he gives his excellent weekend seminar. There are two great books for learning about servicing regs. Regulator Savvy is one that is still available. I believe that Scuba Regulator Maintenance and Repair : A Complete All-Makes Guide to Scuba Regulator Servicing, Troubleshooting, Repair and Tuning by Vance Harlow is considered to be better (I have both) is a better one. I suggest acquiring both.

@rsingler is THE MAN for impartial regulator advise/information. There's some real bias towards/against some brands by folks here on ScubaBoard that is sometimes disingenuous.
Just tried looking for both books you listed and they are out of print and unavailable. Following rsingler

We just dropped off 2 sets, our dive shop said they have started sending them back to factory (we live close to it) and as a result any hoses over 5 years old will be replaced so expect a £200 per set bill!

surely they can tell if a hose needs to be replaced, especially the factory!

I love my regulators, they feel right if that makes sense, other wise I’d consider sell on eBay and replace.

Shoot me your email address and I'll provide you with manuals, links for tools, advice etc. it's really not that hard if you're willing to put in a little effort and assuming in daily life aren't a danger to yourself performing daily functions. Apeks are very simple.

Back
Top Bottom