Cost of ADO and ferry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We all know the Peso is the official currency, but let's not pretend that 95% or more of tourist-related vendors in the State of Quintana Roo don't accept dollars -- they do and over the years, depending on the current state of the Peso, sometimes they even prefer dollars (and sometimes they even give decent exchange rates).

But to the point of this thread: yes, both ADO and the two ferry companies will all take dollars (I don't know how good an exchange rate they give). Let's also not forget that sometimes people (at least in the U.S.): (1) can't get Pesos before their trip from their local bank; and (2) have credit cards that give both an awful exchange rate AND charge a conversion fee -- so you really have to know your card terms to know if it's better for you to have a charge go through as Pesos or Dollars.

...have credit cards that give ... an awful exchange rate...
Do you know that for a fact? I thought that credit card companies have to use the official exchange rate.

We all know the Peso is the official currency, but let's not pretend that 95% or more of tourist-related vendors in the State of Quintana Roo don't accept dollars -- they do and over the years, depending on the current state of the Peso, sometimes they even prefer dollars (and sometimes they even give decent exchange rates).

But to the point of this thread: yes, both ADO and the two ferry companies will all take dollars (I don't know how good an exchange rate they give). Let's also not forget that sometimes people (at least in the U.S.): (1) can't get Pesos before their trip from their local bank; and (2) have credit cards that give both an awful exchange rate AND charge a conversion fee -- so you really have to know your card terms to know if it's better for you to have a charge go through as Pesos or Dollars.
They'll nearly always prefer dollars for self-explanatory reasons.

The ferry companies will offer a poor exchange rate
Getting pesos from your local bank will net you a poor exchange rate. After their lousy rate, you'll pay for service fees, s&h, and whatever else the thieves will throw your way.

Your best option, by far, is using an ATM. Just be careful and decline the conversion rate, unless you're using Citi Banamex, who don't play that stupid game. (Scotia Bank may not play the game either, but if memory serves, they just dispense $500 peso notes).

I flew Toronto-Cancun and did the bag drag this past October: flew Westjet and arrived in (I think) Terminal 4 in Cancun. The ADO bus ticket must be purchased from a vendor located inside the Cancun terminal building. The ticket you buy will have a specific "departure time" noted on it. This vendor is located very close to the terminal exit doors, on your right-hand side.

I mention this because, in the past, these bus tickets could be purchased outside the terminal building, at a small kiosk located in the bus park area. The bus will also stop at other terminals to pick up additional passengers.
My experience in August 2023 was that there are multiple stands where you can purchase the ADO bus ticket.

We walked all the way to where the buses are parked (all the way to the right if I remember correctly), and purchased our tickets from the stand (and ADO person in bright red uniform) right in front of the buses. There were very long lines at the stand inside the terminal building, and no line at all at the stand at the buses, with the added benefit of having the next bus leaving for PDC right in front of us (no uncertainty regarding schedules or anything).

My experience in August 2023 was that there are multiple stands where you can purchase the ADO bus ticket.

We walked all the way to where the buses are parked (all the way to the right if I remember correctly), and purchased our tickets from the stand (and ADO person in bright red uniform) right in front of the buses. There were very long lines at the stand inside the terminal building, and no line at all at the stand at the buses, with the added benefit of having the next bus leaving for PDC right in front of us (no uncertainty regarding schedules or anything).
Interesting........which terminal did you arrive at? I checked my travel file and it was Terminal 4 that I am referencing.

Wondering if someone could let me know the price of ADO from CUN to Playa and cost of ferry each way to Coz. TIA
Not much really. Have lots of small bills handy and be careful with your cash. It's generally cheaper to spend Pesos rather than US Dollars so notify your bank in advance, then use a debit card at a bank ATM at the airport to withdraw some.
can't get Pesos before their trip from their local bank
Even if you can, expect poor conversion rates. Banks are in business to make money plus it does cost them to ship Pesos.
Your best option, by far, is using an ATM. Just be careful and decline the conversion rate, unless you're using Citi Banamex, who don't play that stupid game
A bank ATM, avoiding the non-bank machines, and use your debit card - not a credit card, after notifying your bank that you will be using your various cards in Mexico less their computers block your transaction and signal the ATM to keep your card - a mistake I've only made twice. And do decline the poor conversion rate initially offered by the machine.

The downside is that you'll likely take unspent Pesos home with you. I have a thousand hidden with my passport for my next visit, but it's nice to have a reason to go back. It's only $50-60 USD worth depending on how you value them so not so much. If you don't like that, your bank will probably accept them as a deposit even tho the conversion rate may be poor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom