DIR- Generic Cordless primary light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I swapped the Focus Goodman for an explorer style Goodman pretty quick. I was not happy with the snagging of the foldable one. I have my Focus 2.0 on an EO Cord that I can correct to a 20AH canister or the 5.2AH Focus canister.

Forgot about an e/o cord. That would be nice, then you can have any battery you want. Do you ever have any annoyances with your e/o cord, like snagging and it unplugging?

Not really. I wrap a few turns of electrical tape around the EO Cord ends and that is it. I don't separate them often, which also helps keep the pins in place.

BUT: to get a tech pass, you need to demonstrate that you are proficient with the corded can light, after that you can use whatever you like.

Are you sure about this? The syllabus for the class does not make mention of a corded light to obtain a Tech rating. It does require a primary and backup lights.

I assume it’s an old school halcyon canister they put the light head on? Or do they have a way to get a switch on that little unscrewable battery pack that comes with the focus
Real canisters, not that focus pack thing.

No problems with EO cords.

Are you sure about this? The syllabus for the class does not make mention of a corded light to obtain a Tech rating. It does require a primary and backup lights.

Pretty sure that this is what my fundamentals instructor explained to us. Maybe they changed it in the meantime, but this is from the fundamentals course materials (version 5.1 from 2015):

252BD3EF-E2BC-4B38-8AA3-59AF0F00C72B.jpeg

Think of it like GUEs stance on computers, which boils down to “we recognize that todays computers can be useful, but we maintain that you need to have the skills to dive without them”.

A little off topic:

Given that good primary lights (corded or not) are very expense and the proficient use of one is a needed skill. What do y'all think about buying a cheap Chinese light to have for practice, given that all my diving for the near future will be OW within rec no stop limits. But I want to start using the right gear set up on every dive to build that muscle memory.

for example

Buy Hoozhu HV33 5 colors 4000-Lumen 120-meter LEDCanister diving Video Light(2*32650) , from for $345.00 only in English. Worldwide Fast Free Shipping!

Its cheap, but in terms of the mechanics of operation its a canister light. Has a solid goodman handle and cord and a belt mounted canister. The canister would of course have difference buoyancy then say one of the larger Halcyon explore cans. Plus probably not great brightness. But way less cash.

A little off topic:

Given that good primary lights (corded or not) are very expense and the proficient use of one is a needed skill. What do y'all think about buying a cheap Chinese light to have for practice, given that all my diving for the near future will be OW within rec no stop limits. But I want to start using the right gear set up on every dive to build that muscle memory.

for example

Buy Hoozhu HV33 5 colors 4000-Lumen 120-meter LEDCanister diving Video Light(2*32650) , from for $345.00 only in English. Worldwide Fast Free Shipping!

Its cheap, but in terms of the mechanics of operation its a canister light. Has a solid goodman handle and cord and a belt mounted canister. The canister would of course have difference buoyancy then say one of the larger Halcyon explore cans. Plus probably not great brightness. But way less cash.
Waste of time and money. Buy a quality used light if a tech pass and tech diving is what you're after.

@Kevin Floyd what Eric and AJ said. The bigger issue with those is actually one of safety. A cave diver nearly died last year after Big Blue was negligent in the design of their battery packs and canister. The can itself lacked some critical safety features which caused an explosion after the battery experienced thermal runaway *which would have been prevented if an adequate BMS was used*. Those Chinese lights are not worth even bothering with.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom