DIR- Generic Cordless primary light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess maybe saying “is it DIR” is nit really what I meant.

What I’m trying to understand is are these cordless primary lights that are now brighter or as bright as a canister with really long run times as functional as a canister light without having that cord?

You’re going to make a sacrifice somewhere.

Without a cord, you get either a light that isn’t as bright or a light that doesn’t burn as long. You also get a bulky battery on the back on your hand. If you drop the light, you may or may not have a no good very bad day.

With a cord, you need to manage it and maintain it. It will occasionally get snagged.

Which of these pros and cons is important to you?

For me, the downsides of a cordless light far outweigh the drawbacks of a corded light.

W
You’re going to make a sacrifice somewhere.

Without a cord, you get either a light that isn’t as bright or a light that doesn’t burn as long. You also get a bulky battery on the back on your hand. If you drop the light, you may or may not have a no good very bad day.

With a cord, you need to manage it and maintain it. It will occasionally get snagged.

Which of these pros and cons is important to you?

For me, the downsides of a cordless light far outweigh the drawbacks of a corded light.
Great assessment of the pros/cons :). what light do you use?

W

Great assessment of the pros/cons :). what light do you use?
I use a custom halcyon Focus 2.0 that has the hi/lo/off switch removed with 10ah-30ah canisters. I have a Flare as a backup primary.

I use a custom halcyon Focus 2.0 that has the hi/lo/off switch removed with 10ah-30ah canisters. I have a Flare as a backup primary.

why did you remove the hi/lo/off switch? Your flare backup is cordless I assume. Thanks for the info.

What PcfAj said ... for me one if the biggest factors against cordless is the weight. If you want a light with decent output and decent burn time, today’s cordless versions still tend to be fairly heavy. For me, the corded can lights are much more comfortable to use, No matter how high tech your LED and your battery, the corded version will always be lighter than the version with the battery on your hand. On a >2h dive that will become quite noticeable.

Managing the cord is really a non-issue once you get used to it, main drawback from my point of view is that it’s an extra failure point, and will need to be replaced at some point. Although the failure rate is very low these days.

why did you remove the hi/lo/off switch? Your flare backup is cordless I assume. Thanks for the info.
No benefit to having the switch, one more thing to jam or break.

The flare is on an E/O cord so I can plug it on to a canister.

@Kevin Floyd since you mentioned fundies in the OP: as far as I’m aware, GUE does view the cordless lights as “DIR”, so long as they have the right burn time and beam pattern. BUT: to get a tech pass, you need to demonstrate that you are proficient with the corded can light, after that you can use whatever you like.

Is it just on/off at the can then? I really like the focus and have been contemplating a switch, but hate the magnetic switch (and the folding goodman but thats easy to replace). I would prefer to keep high and low if possible, but with the focus I doubt I’d need it. I went from a lm hid to an underwater light dude. I liked the uwld originally but the beam is too wide now and sucks when theres any particulate. I like that the focus is the best of both led and hid. The switch seems annoying when I demoed one though.

Is it just on/off at the can then? I really like the focus and have been contemplating a switch, but hate the magnetic switch (and the folding goodman but thats easy to replace). I would prefer to keep high and low if possible, but with the focus I doubt I’d need it. I went from a lm hid to an underwater light dude. I liked the uwld originally but the beam is too wide now and sucks when theres any particulate. I like that the focus is the best of both led and hid. The switch seems annoying when I demoed one though.
Yeah it’s just on the can. I wish they’d just produce them with an option to not have the switch.

That goodman handle is atrocious. I’ve got a normal metal one on my Focus, but on the Flare I have the grappling hook foldable thing since it lives in my pocket 99% of the time. I bridged that enormous gap with a pice of bungee which really helps with its snagability but it’s still not great.

Yeah it’s just on the can. I wish they’d just produce them with an option to not have the switch.

That goodman handle is atrocious. I’ve got a normal metal one on my Focus, but on the Flare I have the grappling hook foldable thing since it lives in my pocket 99% of the time. I bridged that enormous gap with a pice of bungee which really helps with its snagability but it’s still not great.

I assume it’s an old school halcyon canister they put the light head on? Or do they have a way to get a switch on that little unscrewable battery pack that comes with the focus

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom