Cootwo Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is the recommended flow rate for the CO gas? The video says apply for minimum 60 seconds and warns against too low flow rate but does not give a value. Will 0.5l/min work?

My aim is to run it through the flow control provided with the Cootwo, connecting the CO regulator to a quick release hose.

I think 1litre/min should be okay.

It would be good it there was actually a manual! Probably make the device a lot safer. And I am told without a manual I would have trouble have a calibration company calibrate the device, they need to hold on record to cover the defined process and hence risk and insurance. I also had the feeling they were not keen to require an iPhone but would much prefer 'standalone' calibration.

Carbon monoxide used to be able to be purchased from BOC but after a man killed his whole family in Sydney a few months ago by plumbing CO to the rooms of the house and getting the cylinders from them, it seems to have withdrawn it from easy purchase.

As I am buying CO I thought I would double check the 'risk'. I think this may be one of those 'urban legend'.

The first table is from Safework Australia and shows that an acceptable weighed average over an 8 hour work period is 30ppm.

The second is from "Detect Carbon Monoxide" and references a number of association and authority limits. It is inline with other documents I have read that suggest 400ppm is a point that life threatening risk occurs.

Given calibration gas is typically low concentrations, I am buying 20ppm, there is no risk of accidental or deliberate poisoning.

it is possible to buy up to 1,000ppm (from BOC and other providers) but it is not an air mix so rather than CO poisoning the victim would be suffocated as there is no oxygen. Max cylinder size is a G, 6.3m3, so it would take more than one cylinder to displace air and fill a standard 3mx3m room (~22m3). In reality ducting CO2 would probably be more effective than CO.

http://www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au...osure_Standards_for_Airborne_Contaminants.pdf
upload_2017-4-5_11-54-0.png

CO Health Risks - Detect Carbon Monoxide
upload_2017-4-5_11-54-16.png

No urban myth, father killed wife and kids by plumbing CO into the bedrooms.

What is the recommended flow rate for the CO gas? The video says apply for minimum 60 seconds and warns against too low flow rate but does not give a value. Will 0.5l/min work?
The flow limiter inside our adapter limits to about 2 lit/min - give or take.

No urban myth, father killed wife and kids by plumbing CO into the bedrooms.

This may be true, but unlikely from commercially available CO.

Just linking to the original post:
Carbon monoxide used to be able to be purchased from BOC but after a man killed his whole family in Sydney a few months ago by plumbing CO to the rooms of the house and getting the cylinders from them, it seems to have withdrawn it from easy purchase.

BOC still sell CO and in general this is quite easy to buy in Australia, just not in a gas mix under 50ppm.

This may be true, but unlikely from commercially available CO.
Just linking to the original post:
BOC still sell CO and in general this is quite easy to buy in Australia, just not in a gas mix under 50ppm.

He used CO from BOC and all mention of CO being available was removed from their web site within a few days once they became aware of it. You can Google it and find the information as released by the NSW Police.

I had tried google nothing showing

Gas has arrived

upload_2017-4-7_15-56-2.png

upload_2017-4-7_15-55-49.png

So it is a 5 minute job to do the calibration, once you have the gas (you need an offset gas with zero CO and the calibration gas) :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom