Consumer Reports for scuba equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Below are some links to a "school of thought" when choosing equipment.

Link 1
Link 2

Some might agree, some might not. Nevertheless, it's a great example of standardized equipment choices and why those particular choices are made.
I'm not sure that the GUE "school of thought" is broadly applicable to recreational diving. At least, not without also looking at other arguably more relevant schools of thought. The buying guides by Divers Supply and LeisurePro, for example, are also good input.

his escribes t
I'm not sure that the GUE "school of thought" is broadly applicable to recreational diving. At least, not without also looking at other arguably more relevant schools of thought. The buying guides by Divers Supply and LeisurePro, for example, are also good input.

That is an interesting point, considering they use the same configuration for their REC1 Level to TECH/CAVE 2 —albeit with a few changes to wing size and the addition or deletion of a single tank adapter.

What's even funnier is that George literally describes their thought process on this subject in the first paragraph on Link 2. (Shown below)

"A good SCUBA equipment configuration needs to carry through all of your diving, from open water to cave in such a fashion that the addition of items necessary for each dive does not in any way interfere with or change the existing configuration. Diving with the same configuration allows the same response to an emergency at all times while reducing effective task loading due to familiarity. In other words, it not only helps solve problems, it prevents them."

his escribes t

That is an interesting point, considering they use the same configuration for their REC1 Level to TECH/CAVE 2 —albeit with a few changes to wing size and the addition or deletion of a single tank adapter.

What's even funnier is that George literally describes their thought process on this subject in the first paragraph on Link 2. (Shown below)

"A good SCUBA equipment configuration needs to carry through all of your diving, from open water to cave in such a fashion that the addition of items necessary for each dive does not in any way interfere with or change the existing configuration. Diving with the same configuration allows the same response to an emergency at all times while reducing effective task loading due to familiarity. In other words, it not only helps solve problems, it prevents them."

OP got his certification through PADI (per his profile).

That’s one reason I didn’t offer up any direct equipment recommendations. I learned to dive from a technical diver. My ideal gear configuration would likely look foreign to the OP.

As a PADI instructor...how many of your OW students go the tech. diving configuration route? Just curious.

OP...I would recommend not rushing to buy regulators. Purchasing now for a dive this weekend is rushing (my opinion). Why not rent for this trip?

As far as recommendations...people are going to recommend that you buy what they’re diving. That’s how it works. Their regulators might be the right ones for them, but they may or may not be the right ones for you.

I rushed out and bought all new gear when I initially got certified. ~2 years in...I’m still using roughly half of the gear from that initial purchase. I suspect that it’s the same story for many others, based off reading similar accounts here.

If you want to buy this week, I’d recommend to go by whichever shop it is that you intend to service your gear and see what regulators they recommend and which makes and models they service.

Oh, I'm not buying for this weekend trip; that was merely to demonstrate my enthusiasm. I'm taking my time with the equipment; trying to avoid costly mistakes.

OP got his certification through PADI (per his profile).

That's one reason I didn't offer up any direct equipment recommendations. I learned to dive from a technical diver. My ideal gear configuration would look entirely foreign to the OP.

I didn't either. I made available two links to suggested unbranded equipment. If you read the links, it goes into choices made and why. E.g., Low volume mask will assist the diver in clearing much faster and also increase comfort and visibility, or why a long hose or downstream regulator would be the better choice than say an upstream one, etc.

his escribes t

LOL. Why should the average recreational diver have equipment choices that are constrained by future cave diving needs, that are of no concern to him? Also, George (and the whole GUE community, apparently) misses the point that one will not always be diving with similarly trained and equipped divers -- witness rec divers joining a Red Sea liveaboard -- so there are no "familiarity" benefits to fall back on. Until George can change the world, he lives in only his little corner. I do not deny many of the emphasis of GUE, especially the rigor of the training, but demanding lock-step conformity as a best response to emergencies is not compelling.

If you can put up with the arguments, you've got something like a crowd-sourced personal shopper service here. :wink: One that will frequently tell you that what you think you want (at least now) is wrong. 50% of the time that is a good thing.

Should you go down that path - clearly stating (with specifics) as much about your situation as possible goes a long way toward giving you good results.

With @Barnaby'sDad 's thoughts in mind to wait rather than rush... when you do start to purchase, here are some things to ponder and offer up as you are soliciting suggestions:

Where do you live ?
- are you in a SCUBA desert where there is one shop an hour away or 4 within 10 minutes?
- sometimes the specific city matters because there is one specific shop with broad market reach or rare affiliation with certain brands.

Will you dive locally or only travel to warm, clear waters?
- local environment then matters too for gear selection.
- you may want your own tanks then depending on local rental availability.
- for (at least air travel) weight and bulk may become an issue

Do you see yourself evolving into more advanced/tech-lite/technical types of diving
- maybe now is the time to select gear which may retain its utility longer as you progress - surprisingly that may not actually cost (much or any) more up front, but does strongly influence choices.

How self-reliant are you?
- do you like to configure/tinker and make things "your own"?
- do you want (at least the option) to service gear yourself?
- do you want the shop to do it for you and limit your involvement to diving and CC-charges?

Are you only comfortable buying form a "big name" or are you open to more boutique options that may offer cost savings at the same performance levels?

Oh, I'm not buying for this weekend trip; that was merely to demonstrate my enthusiasm. I'm taking my time with the equipment; trying to avoid costly mistakes.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
He said "avoid costly mistakes"
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Now being serious, I commend you for getting information and trying to think through what you like and don't like! You will absolutely be money ahead in doing so.
Try as much different gear as you can so you can get a real feel for what you like and don't like. Everyone has different tastes and what I love may not be anything close to what you want.

I would also say make a list of the items you want to purchase and then decide in what order to purchase them. The amounts of gear on the market can be overwhelming, so figuring out one piece at a time not only helps keep your sanity but I believe allows you to make a more informed decision as to what will suit you personally the best.

In the end most of us are gear junkies so having buyers remorse on a few things is pretty common.

I hope you enjoy your trip. I’d love to make a Florida trip right about now.:cheers:

There is some trial and error with gear selection, but regulators are expensive enough (compared to most gear) that it would pay to get it right the first time.

LOL. Why should the average recreational diver have equipment choices that are constrained by future cave diving needs, that are of no concern to him? Also, George (and the whole GUE community, apparently) misses the point that one will not always be diving with similarly trained and equipped divers -- witness rec divers joining a Red Sea liveaboard -- so there are no "familiarity" benefits to fall back on. Until George can change the world, he lives in only his little corner. I do not deny many of the emphasis of GUE, especially the rigor of the training, but demanding lock-step conformity as a best response to emergencies is not compelling.

It's effortless to dive with folks in different configurations. Hundreds of divers do it every day. The thought process is—why have multiple sets of varying gear when one set gets you through all levels of diving. E.g., Hogarthian/DIR. Or like the OP said, they would like to buy once, cry once.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom