Consumer Reports for scuba equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"A good SCUBA equipment configuration needs to carry through all of your diving, from open water to cave in such a fashion that the addition of items necessary for each dive does not in any way interfere with or change the existing configuration. Diving with the same configuration allows the same response to an emergency at all times while reducing effective task loading due to familiarity. In other words, it not only helps solve problems, it prevents them."

OnTheMark: this is something you'll run across occasionally, especially on Scubaboard. It's a dive religion, and it's the one true religion to its devotees. If you believe that it's in some way possible for there to be one and only one way to configure your gear and dive, then strap on your backplate and chant with the believers. Otherwise, use your common sense and do what works for you.

It's effortless to dive with folks in different configurations. Hundreds of divers do it every day.
That's exactly my point. Is it yours also? It is not George's....
why have multiple sets of varying gear when one set gets you through all levels of diving. E.g., Hogarthian/DIR
Not sure we are going to see OW training shift to BP/W, single web harness, and long hose any time soon.
My clothing evolves as I move through high school and college and career; why can't my scuba gear?

That's exactly my point. Is it yours also? It is not George's...

Not sure we are going to see OW training shift to BP/W, single web harness, and long hose any time soon.
My clothing evolves as I move through high school and college and career; why can't my scuba gear?

Sure, on recreational dives, why not? I would explain how I would donate my primary to an out of gas diver in case of emergency and also go over a "head to toe" buddy check with those I got paired with and have a great dive.

I teach all of my PADI OW students in a DIR configuration. I've yet to hear that anyone was surprised by that. Also, I have a set of jacket and short hose configuration so they can take a look at it, set it up, and dive it if they want to try it. However, I've yet to have a student stay with the jacket configuration once they have attempted both. :coffee:

OP, what is your budget?
Are you trying to do this on the cheap or do you mind spending some money?

I'm willing to spend money on quality equipment that will last me many years. Just don't know what quality equipment is, hence looking for unbiased info similar to Consumer Reports

I'm willing to spend money on quality equipment that will last me many years. Just don't know what quality equipment is, hence looking for unbiased info similar to Consumer Reports
I hope you realize that all such info is biased....for example someone who never owned a BP/W will say it is NG.
Best you can do is reads lots and be skeptical of most.
If there is a particular item, you can home in a little faster...but in general you are looking for a sheep with 6 legs, as my French friends say.

First you have to decide where/how you will get your gear serviced when due. This will define which brands you have to choose from.

Next is what what your budget is. All the major brands have high end and lower cost products and even the low end products are safe to use and will work. Unless you decide to buy a $5 regulator from Alibaba (minimum order 50 peices) then good luck to you.

The above narrows down your choices considerably and then you just have to pick the features that you like and want. You're not going to know what that is until you read Scubaboard from start to finish and have rented or borrowed some gear to see if you like it or not. Reading product reviews on Amazon and online dive dealers can also be helpful after narrowing down your choices a little. There is not one place to go to like Consumer Reports for dive gear, so you are going to have to go through this process on your own.

There is simply an enormous amount of information out there, and there is no one real source that can help you. That happens in the non-scuba world, too. I recently bought a new mattress. I looked first at Consumer Reports, and it was not at all helpful. Tons of information, but no meaningful way to sort it all. I then looked at other rating sites and, again, found too much information from too many sources. I finally walked away from all of them, went to a bunch of stores, talked to a bunch of people, and made my own decision.

If you walk into a mattress store, the sales people will of course recommend the mattresses that they sell. The same is true of scuba shops. They will tell you to buy what is in their shop, but they will also go beyond that. I stopped working at a shop right as it was changing its agency affiliation and after the head of that agency taught them they would make more money by identifying the model in each equipment category that had the best markup and doing everything they could to steer buyers to those models. That process included making sure all the instructors were decked out in those items and only those items, and having the instructors tell their students that they used that equipment because it was the best.

This is ScubaBoard, so you have gotten recommendations to by a backplate and wing with a long hose setup. In the real world of scuba, that is an extremely rare configuration. If you go to almost any of the shops in my area, not only will they not recommend it, they really won't know what it is. It will not be on display because they do not stock it. They would not know how to set it up for you if you ordered one. It is what I use, though, and it is indeed what I think is best. When I took it to Australia and used it on a dive boat, the crew had never seen anything like it and wondered aloud why I would use something as strange as that.

Beware of zealots, the ones trying to cram things down your throat. There is a cliché about an organization who pushed and pushed for everyone at any level to use the same equipment, and that cliché was that they were always saying "You're gonna die!" if you don't use their recommended equipment. They actually had an individual whose specific job it was to lead the movement to get everyone to dive the way they did and with the equipment they used, and here is one of the items he wrote telling people how to do that. It is far more polite than usual, with the strongest language being the part where he says, "Try to dive only with people you know are safe, and who dive the same procedures and configurations you do. If you are "stuck" with someone you see gearing up badly, with a poor configuration, try a good natured explanation of why the "Doing it Right" system would have him/her configured differently." In more usual and less carefully constructed posting, he was very much of the "You're going to die!" ilk. For example, in a ScubaBoard thread a few years ago, he said that all over the world, drysuit divers who are not trained by the agency he was promoting were dying because they lost buoyancy control and had uncontrolled upside down ascents, leaving them at the surface, dangling from their overinflated legs.

So, take your time. Do a lot of reading. Decide whom to listen to. Make a good choice.

Back
Top Bottom