Considering Switching to Hogarthian

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bryan

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After reading the DIR and Hogarthian forums, and chatting on Scubaboard with many who dive with a BP/W, I am seriously considering switching to a BP/W. The simplicity and logic behind the system appeals to my analytical side.

What is the learning curve like for a PADI OW diver, certified for one year with about 30 dives logged, who wants to switch to a BP/W?

Can one make the switch without special training, assuming they do their own homework first (i.e., read everything they can on the topic online), or is it really so different that I shouldn't place my order with DSS before scheduling a DIR-F class? How do people usually make that switch?

It's just a BC... Get it and dive it... worry about the other stuff later...Find a mentor and buy him a cup of coffee and talk about diving.

Read up on some of the fundies reports... The format has changed a bit so take that into mind. Don't take on too much at a time unless you have some competent supervision (read: Instruction). Otherwise changing one piece at a time shouldn't be too hard... Oh and do this on the "Bunny Slopes"

Good Luck

DiverBry:
Can one make the switch without special training, assuming they do their own homework first (i.e., read everything they can on the topic online), or is it really so different that I shouldn't place my order with DSS before scheduling a DIR-F class?

Yes, you can "make the switch without special training." Like Ben_ca said, "It's just a BC... Get it and dive it...." What would be better is to dive with someone who is already familiar with the rig so s/he could show you how to properly adjust the harness, set it up, etc. There's a ton of useful info online but there's a ton of crap as well. I would definitely try and have some dive experience with a new rig before any class, not just DIR-F (now called GUE-F). DIR-F isn't really about teaching someone how to dive a bp/wing setup.

DiverBry:
How do people usually make that switch?

My very first BC was a Scubapro S-Tek/TravTek wing (basically a Dive Rite TransPac I/Travel Wing clone) so the transition to my current bp/wing was pretty easy. I first tried a friend's rig on a shallow dive, liked it, bought a similar setup and just kept on diving (eventually taking DIR-F later).

DiverBry:
After reading the DIR and Hogarthian forums, and chatting on Scubaboard with many who dive with a BP/W, I am seriously considering switching to a BP/W. The simplicity and logic behind the system appeals to my analytical side.

What is the learning curve like for a PADI OW diver, certified for one year with about 30 dives logged, who wants to switch to a BP/W?

Can one make the switch without special training, assuming they do their own homework first (i.e., read everything they can on the topic online), or is it really so different that I shouldn't place my order with DSS before scheduling a DIR-F class? How do people usually make that switch?

Ben and Vie are both correct, it's just a BC.

I have many customers that purchased a BP&W and successfully assembled and adjusted it without a "local expert"

Having said that the set up of a BP&W takes a little time (most new gear does) Adjusting the harness for fit takes a few dives, and finding the best location for the drings (so you can clip off your reg and SPG reliably) takes a few more.

If a local BP&W diver can help, great, but there is still no substitute for putting on the gear and getting in the water.

Tobin

I can back up what Tobin stated. I am one of many that has changed to a BP/W without a "local expert". I just use the "local experts" here on :sblogo:. After a phone call and several e-mails with Tobin and a LOT of PMs to DIR divers on SB, I decided to purchase mine. I bought the long pattern SS back plate, the 30# LCD, and the Hog harness.

Without a "local expert" around, I had to assemble my BP/W by myself, more/less. The instructions that Tobin sends with the rig works really well. Everyone told me that I'd need to adjust, dive, readjust, and so on. I've done about 10 dives on it thus far, 9 in an 8' pool and 1 in a rock quarry. I'm still adjusting. I'm still adjusting the harness, tighten here, loosen here. I have yet to mess with the d-ring adjustments.

Ohh and just too let you know about the "learnbing curve" you asked about, I only have one-arm and I've had no issues. I find the BP/W design to be a lot more, even though it's a lot less. "Less is more!".

Good luck and if you have any questions, ask here, e-mail/call Tobin, or worst case, PM me, I'll try to help. :)

Michael

It's just a BC as far as diving it goes.

Beware of playing with the harness when you are alone in the house, though. :D

Hee hee. Forgot about that, Lynn. :D

I set my first PB/W up with the help of The Beatnik (LINK), who was my only local mentor. Then when I went to the coast to dive, I hooked up with some dir-ers and had them critique my kit.

Easy.

Now as to actually learning to dive it well... Yeah, that took a bit longer. :D

Enjoy!!

I got my DSS rig after only five dives. I read extensively on ScubaBoard, Tobin's website and other Hog/DIR sites. I was able to assemble, configure and learn it myself, so I have no doubt you can. Just start with easy, conservative dives and before you know it you'll be getting the hang of it.

Rick Inman:
I set my first PB/W up with the help of The Beatnik. . .
What is that, Peanut Butter / Wasabi?
Peanut Butter / Worcestershire?

I prefer PB/J. :D

TSandM:
It's just a BC as far as diving it goes.

Beware of playing with the harness when you are alone in the house, though. :D

ROTFLMAO :rofl3:

Oh, Lynne, That's hysterical. What makes it priceless is knowing that only you could do that to yourself.... LOL :D

Getting back on topic, if a BP/W is just another mouse trap then it begs the question, what good is buying one if you already have a BCD....

R..

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom