Conditions in local (to DC) quarries? (late spring 2017)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freedc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anybody have a report from Millbrook, Lake Phoenix, or Dutch Springs to share? Temps, thermoclines and visibility?

I'm thinking about going to Lake Phoenix over Memorial Day weekend. Thanks in advance.

Hi...I did Lake Phoenix last October...and it was around 80 degrees until about 20 feet and drastically dropped. By about 50 feet we were well into the the low 60's high 50's needless to say we did not have dry suits or 7mils so we would literally hit a depth for a few seconds a rise. This thermocline is a beast and I highly recommend thick gloves and a hood. There are a lot of things to see in the lake and the area is quite nice. I'm headed back in July but I may be doing dry suit practice.

On a side note..it's a drive but there is kinda cool diving in NC at Morehead if you don't mind a long boat ride.

I dove Lake Phoenix 3 weeks ago. Surface temps were in the mid to high seventies. Thermocline was at about 20 feet where it dropped down to 56 degrees. Temps at the bottom were 49-50 degree. Visibility was probably about average, maybe 40 to 50 feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom