DC Local Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reinnes13

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

Are there any dive sites near to the DC area that are currently open? I know that Lake Phoenix is but was wondering about Lake Millbrook, Dutch Quarry, and perhaps some other local shore dives. Looking to get some dives in soon to test out some new equipment for the season.

Thanks!
Alex

Hoping to get out to Phoenix myself this weekend to start off the 2020

Coral Edge Adventures runs Millbrook Quarry. I don't see anything on their calendar but that doesn't mean they're not doing training. Not sure what is up there.

AFAIK no Juturna until one of the J months at minimum?

Dutch is the same distance as Phoenix I believe. Dutch Springs says closed on their website due to the 'rona.

Thanks for all of this. My dive buddy and I have been trying to get ahold of Millbrook but no luck. Looking forward to Juturna when it opens.

Happy diving if you make it out this weekend. Do you know how the rental tanks there work? When I went for my AOW we had a pair from our dive shop we switched out

I was at Phoenix the previous weekend. Do your waivers online then look for the online store on their website to pre-pay the tanks and entrance. You get a tank at the entrance when you sign in, and when that one is done you bring it back and they give you a full one.

Went past two weekends to Lake Phoenix. It was nice! Water is warming up. I think it was lower side of 60s at 30ft and 70 at surface. Didn't download my computer yet so don't have it with me.

I found out that the fish will chase a laser pointer like a cat. Pretty odd.

I am not sure about Millbrook but it is leased/run by Coral Edge Adventures and I have stopped by their shop twice in recent weeks during normal hours and they were closed, haven't been able to get them on the phone either. They may be shutdown during Covid. Juturna opening up (I believe early July now?) soon, that will be the best spot within 1 hour of DC metro area.

Juturna just updated their FB page a couple hours ago indicating that a 2020 opening is not likely due to a mix of covid delays in testing their septic/toilet setups and financial issues.

Juturna just updated their FB page a couple hours ago indicating that a 2020 opening is not likely due to a mix of covid delays in testing their septic/toilet setups and financial issues.
Ah shoot, was really looking forward to them reopening.

Ah shoot, was really looking forward to them reopening.
I know.. :(

I think Coral Edge Adventures is open like Fri/Sat/Sun now or something. It's on their facebook page.

From May 20th:
"Coral Edge Adventures is starting modified hours on Friday May 22 as follows:
Friday 10am to 3pm
Saturday 10am to 3pm
Sunday 10am to 3pm

We expect these hours to expand in the near future"

Which sucks for me, I'd like to drop off equipment Friday for service but work 1hr+ away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom