Question Troy Springs conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Librarybarry

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My son (14 yr old) and I are headed through High Springs and plan to stop for a couple of days to dive. Both OW certified last summer with several quarry dives, and a couple of ocean dives. We are planning to dive Ginnie: the Ballroom and maybe the Devil's springs run one day. Had planned on Troy Springs, maybe a quick dip in Royal the next.

I see that the Suwannee is high from the rains, and the Troy Springs State Park site says the spring is closed. I'm wondering if anyone with local knowledge thinks Troy might clear up by next week. (I do realize there's no crystal ball.)

We can always head a bit south and do Devil's Den or Blue Grotto if it's not clear. Just trying to get a little local intel.
Thanks to anyone who can offer experienced advice.

Chatted with someone Thursday that said most stuff up north is blown out from all the rain. End of next week / 2nd week of March would be a good guess to when things might clear up.

A nice shallow spring to check out, if conditions allow, is Fanning Spring. 14ft deep at the most at the spring boil. I even saw manatees when there in late December. Excellent spring for younger divers. It’s a state park so very affordable.

@sharknutz and @Marie13 thanks for the insight and tip on Fanning. I know there are tons of springs up there, and the easy thing to do is just keep an eye on the websites, or call parks/dive shops when we get there, but I figured it wouldn’t hurt to ask.
Fingers crossed that heavy rains stay away between now and the time we’re rolling through.

Thanks for this info, @SubseaSports ! I appreciate getting some intel from one who lives there.

Get a copy of the the Florida Atlas and Gazetteer, the big red soft cover map book. there's a list of all the springs in Florida in the front with short descriptions of each. And maps.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom