Completed OW but had some issues.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RICHinNC:
Oh I forgot.... a purge mask will do nothing for her but give her false security. If someone comes a long and knocks her mask off what good is the purge? Its the skill she needs.

Ya know...ya get old and just forget things sometimes.....I think... not sure....I forgot.

True.. The purge valve in my mask is useless. I had the same thing happen to me on my check out dive for OW. I telled my head back to far and BAM! Water up the nose. Horrible feeling! Just have her practice it in a pool.

What I do now for a mask flood is: Hold the top of the mask really tight with some leveage that breaks the bottom seal. Blow out your nose and slowly start to till back has you blow. Let go of the mask and then stop blowing. There is usually a little water in the mask, but the purge valve can get the rest of it.

Just do not tilt your head back to far and remember to keep blowing out your nose.

I gree with the others. Get her in the pool and take it off on off on until it's nothing. At some time or another you can bet, some jerk will kick it off your face.

A newbee too,
Laurel
:snorkels:

Walter:
I hope she wasn't actually certified. She needs more pool work before getting her card.

Sure sounds it, "completed OW" and leaving for a dive trip. :icon_ques

spectrum:
Sure sounds it, "completed OW" and leaving for a dive trip. :icon_ques

Yes, we're certified. After her panic attack DM made her do it several more times. He refused to pass her until she could be somewhat comfortable with the skill. Although she was a little scared she made it through. Our dive trip isn't for 5 more months. We have plenty of time to work on the mask flood skill. Thanks for all the tips and support.

Sounds like a standards violation to me. Standards require mastery of skills. She's yet to master that skill. Work on it until she's comfortable with it, otherwise her life is in danger when she's diving. I'd also report the offending instructor.

Walter:
Sounds like a standards violation to me. Standards require mastery of skills. She's yet to master that skill. Work on it until she's comfortable with it, otherwise her life is in danger when she's diving. I'd also report the offending instructor.

We've only been diving for a week it's hard to "MASTER" any underwater skills in a week. She completed the skill multiple times what else is there to do? It's not like she couldn't do it she was just a little scared. When water rushes up your nose the first time it's going to be a little scary. We by no means "MASTERED" our buoyancy control so does this mean we shouldn't have been certified??? I think the DM understood we are going to continue to work on it in the pool. More pool time is the answer.

For me this one was the toughest skill to learn. Doing it in cold water with bad viz just makes it much harder especially when you are new. And that cold water hitting your face does not help. I agree, practice it in the pool until she is comfortable with it. However, you have to remember it "may" happen when you are in cold water and bad viz as well so once she is comfortable with doing it in the pool, practice it in other situations as well. The good news is it does get easier. She is not alone, it is a fear for many beginning students. But it is a skill that every diver needs to know that they can handle if their mask gets knocked off or kicked loose. I also see nothing wrong with her pinching her nose if she needs to at first but work with it until she can do the skill without pinching her nose. Just don't try to do it all at once! Work up to that level and the cold water.

My OW instructer suggested before our pool session to go home and fill our masks up partially with water, enough to cover your nose. Then just hang out and watch TV or something. Good practice breathing only through the mouth. This may help her get used to the idea that it is ok if your nose is submerged in water. The big benefit is you can do it at home as long as you don't have a purge mask :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom