Complete Halcyon Pioneer Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I picked up an Eclipse rig today also. I will see if I like it better than the Pioneer 36. Some say the Eclipse is not as streamlined and harder to dump. We'll see!

got an eclipse wing today tried it before and id say it's the best single tank wing iv'e ever used

I bought a complete Halcyon Pioneer Setup 36 lbs. wing with 15 lbs. weight pockets, 6 lbs. SS back plate, off e-bay for $450.00. This is my 1st BP/W setup. Just wondering if I payed to much, or is that average cost for a used Halcyon BP/W? ...Before I get flamed because I already bought it and I hear "what does it matter", I guess I'm looking for opinions if it was a good deal or not, so I can either chalk it up as one of life's learning experiences.
Two thoughts: 1. For dive gear on eBay I set my upper limit as 50% of MSRP (new). I pass on a lot of gear (much of which seems to be purchased by bidders with less than 5 previous purchases), but I usually get good deals when I buy. The 50% is based on the assumed risk of buying used equipment. Therefore, you paid a bit more than I would have, BUT ... 2. Halcyon equipment is generally good, and seems to command something of a premium on eBay, and complete units like you bought do not show up very often, so there is a supply-demand influence which increases the prices. If the unit is in good condition, and requires no repair or service, you did not pay too much. You essentially have a new rig at a substantial discount.

Ihave pretty much the same approach - 1/2 of retail for used equipment. And if it is not in exllent condition I will pass on it. However there are some items that are either in great demand in general or no longer available new that I will pay a little more for.

At the other extreme, sometimes you get some great deals. For example I bought my mint condition Pioneer wing with aluminum backplate and Oxycheq harness at an estate auction for $25.00. I didn't need the harness or yet another plate, but for $25.00 I decided I could live with them along with the wing.

I have the Halcyon 40# Eclipse wing and a SS BP and I love it. I am a PSD so I will probably be switching the hog harness for the Dive Rite Transplate Harness since I dive a range of different suits during the year. Makes adjusting to the conditions easier as well as rapid deployment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom