Come to Okinawa, Japan for World Class Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bill PNW Diver, I have talked to the old divers on the island and they stated that Kin Red was full of coral a decade ago. Now it is pretty silty, but it is still a great sight when when the west side is blown out. The landings during WWII were between Kadena Marina (Kadena Circle) and the Yomitan Light house on Bolo Point. I have dove about ten different sights along this coast line and have not seen evidence of underwater blasting. However it has been sixty eight years since the Navy blasted the channels. I have found 50 cal rounds, and anti aircraft shells underwater in this area. I have old photos of the landing and you can see the ships shelling were the Coral Cove (Cafe) on Torii Station where there were thousands of landing craft. The popular dive sites in this area are: from south to north Runway Lights, Kadena Marina, Navo Kadena, Kadena Steps. Kadena North, Red Channel Marker, Devils Cove, Motorpool at Torii, Torii Beach, Yomitan Port, Fishemans Warf, 5 Old Lady Seaweed Beach, Fireing Range, Bolo Flats, and Bolo Point.

Larry's does not ring a bell. I have not looked for dive sites outside Hansen though. Hansen has an Tsunami Gear outlet that I always go to. Doug Bennet used to own a shop outside Camp Hansen and now owns Reef Encounters which is located along the Sunabe Sea Wall.

I visited Okinawa nearly 30 years ago, on a trip with the US Air Force, and ran into a guy I had gone to USAF Tech School with. He suggested I pick up some snorkeling gear at the BX, and we did some freediving around the island. It was beautiful, as you say, and I had a great time and saw some wonderful sights. I was very impressed by the people of Okinawa, and spending time in the water sure beat the heck out of spending time in the bar districts off-base the way many of the military men did.

I wouldn't mind going back for another visit someday, particularly if my wife and I go ahead with the scuba lessons.

Hoomi, You need to come back as you would not recongize Okinawa any more. The Okinawan's have been cutting down the mountains up north and building sea walls on the reef and back filling acres of land to build 5 star hotels. Hiway 58 runs north and south along the east china sea. When you were on Okinawa hiway 58 ran along the beach. Now with land reclaimation projects Hiway 58 is now ten blocks from the beach and there are 30 story hotels along the beach. I have been extremely impressed that the corals off shoar have not suffered with all of this construction. The soft corals off of the this sea wall are some of the most abundant and colorful that I have ever seen.

The exchange rate is $1 = 150 Yen which is about what it has averaged for the last ten years.

Currently the exchange rate is about 107.... it did hit about 133 or so back in 2002.... but on average about 105-110.

and as Japan is expensive at any rate.... diving is great but pricey compared to other asian places...
ex. (non-military) 2 boat dives might be about 13,000 yen (13,000/107=$121) including lunch!

mmmm and if you do go to Okinawa, ask for some Awamori (the local alcohol) post dive!! goooooood stuff!

Currently the exchange rate is about 107.... it did hit about 133 or so back in 2002.... but on average about 105-110.

and as Japan is expensive at any rate.... diving is great but pricey compared to other asian places...
ex. (non-military) 2 boat dives might be about 13,000 yen (13,000/107=$121) including lunch!

mmmm and if you do go to Okinawa, ask for some Awamori (the local alcohol) post dive!! goooooood stuff!

The Mushroom King spoke correctly that the exchange rate fluxs every day. Several months ago is was 98 cents to 1 yen so the rate is much better now. I agree that Japan is expensive especially in Tokyo where The Mushroom King is from. It is like compairing Los Angles with Florida. Okinawa, has heavy competition in the dive industry so two tank dives can be found a bit cheeper. It also depends on the location that the boat takes you. If you demand to dive the far side of the Kerama's it will be more expensive than if you dive off shore of Okinawa. The service in Japan is guarenteed 100% so there is no tip required. However the service in Japan far exceeds anything in America. Most dive boats offer sushi or a bento box for lunch. If you bought the sushi in an LA restraunt it would cost you over $100. So $121 sounds like a lot of money for a boat dive but I bet the rates in California, Hawaii, or Florida are similar, and you don't get the same service. You can rough it here in Okinawa, and stay at a bed and breakfest that will cost around $45, but you might be sleeping on a fouton and share a bathroom. Japan is extremely safe! It is safer than the USA in most cities. I have not locked my house since 1997, and I only lock my car at the dive sites. If you write your name on your dive equipment the Okinawan's will return it to you if you loose the equipment. The water is clean and potible from the tap, and awamori (rice whisky), and spa's are something that everyone should experiance. The local beer after a dive is good it is called Orion. Orion comes in a pint tall class that has been dipped in water and thrown in the freezer, creating a frosty mug of beer. The sushi bars in Okinawa has to be the best in the world. Okinawan's have been gathering things from the sea for centuris and the fish comes straight from the ocean to the sushi bar and it has never been frozen. It is expertly prepared and often served with ginger and wasahabi, that gives the sushi the spice.

I have never seen the yen hit 150 to a dollar! at it's WORST over the past 10 years I've seen it average over 120 to 130. On average, I'd say it was 110.

Do you guys put together full packages (including flight and transportation)?

I sure wouldn't mind visiting again, though I have no idea how long it might be until we have the opportunity. Somewhere around the house, I still have the map of Okinawa I bought when I was there in 1979, and it would be fascinating to compare it to an up-to-date map. Looking at an on-line map of diving sites, I'm not sure I can point to the places we went snorkeling when I was there. I know we went to one spot on Miyagi Island, and I keep thinking another place we went had "Moon" in the name somehow (though that might have just been a nickname U.S. Servicemen gave the place). All of our snorkeling was from the beach; we didn't have a boat at our disposal. We drove to Bolo Point one day, but a large school of baracuda right below the cliff made us rethink the decision to snorkel there that day.

I also remember we waded out wearing shoes, to protect against a particular species of mussel that had a rather toxic sting. As I recall, my buddy said if one stings you, it would likely be fatal. I'm not sure if he was exaggerating or if they're really that venomous, but the precaution certainly didn't dampen the enjoyment of the freediving.

I sure wouldn't mind visiting again, though I have no idea how long it might be until we have the opportunity. Somewhere around the house, I still have the map of Okinawa I bought when I was there in 1979, and it would be fascinating to compare it to an up-to-date map. Looking at an on-line map of diving sites, I'm not sure I can point to the places we went snorkeling when I was there. I know we went to one spot on Miyagi Island, and I keep thinking another place we went had "Moon" in the name somehow (though that might have just been a nickname U.S. Servicemen gave the place). All of our snorkeling was from the beach; we didn't have a boat at our disposal. We drove to Bolo Point one day, but a large school of baracuda right below the cliff made us rethink the decision to snorkel there that day.

I also remember we waded out wearing shoes, to protect against a particular species of mussel that had a rather toxic sting. As I recall, my buddy said if one stings you, it would likely be fatal. I'm not sure if he was exaggerating or if they're really that venomous, but the precaution certainly didn't dampen the enjoyment of the freediving.

Hoomi, you would not recognize Okinawa, as I have stated before that the Okinawan's have reclaimed miles of land from former coral reefs. The miltary bases have actually preserved many pristine reefs. I saw a large group of Baracuda today as I was conducting Discover Scuba at the Water Treatment Plant on the Sunabe Sea Wall, Chatan, Town Okinawa. Baracuda are quite tame here but they are fascinated by dive lights and shinny objects so you must be careful. There are many dangerous things here but it is much safer than the Great Barrier reef as are most common shark is the white tip, and we don't have salt water crocodiles. I have not heard of mussels but we do were dive booties for all shore dives and the dive booties have felt bottoms to prevent urchins from pentrating thourgh the neoprene. I have logged all my dives on Padi.com for any one to veiw, and since I have dived 80% of all the mainland Okinawa, Japan dive sites it might be helpful for anyone visiting to develop their dive plans. I have also included some of the top dive sites in Okinawa, from ƒ_ƒCƒrƒ“ƒOuK•ƒ_ƒCƒrƒ“ƒOƒVƒ‡ƒbƒvî•ñ|PADI or Padi Japan.

1. Go to PADI. The Way The World Learns to Dive
2. click on Keep Diving
3. Click on the far right tab "My PADI"
4. Register your name with PADI by filling out the questions, remember your name and password
5.Once you have an Account with PADI then click on buddy finder
6. Search for marbuts
7. You should see all my dives

From Padi Japan you can google translate to translate the web page to english.

沖縄本島の西海岸にあって那覇より北へ23キロメートルの地点にある嘉手納町水釜。 Okinawa's Naha on the west coast in a spot 23 km from north to Kadena水釜. かつて琉球王朝時代、中国から甘藷(いも)を持ち帰り、全国民を飢餓から救った命の恩人「野国総官」生誕の地でもあります。 Former Ryukyu Dynasty, China and Sweet Potato (suggestion) to go, the whole nation to save a life saved from starvation "gross national field officer" birthplace as well. (皆さんが食した事のある「さつまいも」は、此処から発信されたのです。)現在は町の83%が米軍基地となっており、そのせいか国際色豊かで年に一度のカデナカーニバルというお祭りは、異国情緒を味わう事ができます。 (As you can see what is a diet of "SATSUMAIMO", originated from the此処.) Is currently 83 percent of the town's military bases in the United States and the international flavor of the year because of my once-KADENAKANIBARU The festival celebrates the exotic taste of it.
そんな嘉手納町水釜のダイビングポイントは2ヵ所のポイントがあり、どのポイントも階段状の防波堤を下りて行くのでエントリーしやすいのが特徴。 That point is Kadena水釜diving at the two points, points which stepped down a breakwater, so go easy entry feature. そしてダイバーのほとんどが外国人! And most of the foreign divers! 日本人には、あまり知られていないダイビングポイントですが、海の中は色とりどりのソフトコーラル(柔らかいサンゴ)が広がり、辺り一面に広がる真っ白な砂地がとても綺麗なポイントです。 Japanese, the little-known diving point, but in the sea of colorful soft coral (soft coral) is spread, spread all around is very beautiful pure white sand points. 魚の種類も豊富で、初心者からベテランまで幅広く楽しめるポイントです。 Rich in fish species, from beginners to experts with a wide range of points.

美しい海岸線と豪華なリゾートホテル、ゆったりとした空気が流れている万座周辺には、個性的なスポットが揃っています。 Beautiful coastline, and luxury resort hotel, an unhurried air to flow around the seat of the unique attractions of all nations.
地形派ダイバーに大人気の万座ドリームホールやホーシューは、水中洞窟とダイナミックなドロップオフが圧巻! Divers are the most popular faction terrain million HOSHU Hall and the Dream House, underwater caves and dynamic tension will drop! お魚派にはトウアカクマノミが人気のクロスラインがおすすめです。 With a school of fish is popular cross-TOUAKAKUMANOMI line is recommended. ここではネジリンボウやヤシャハゼ等の人気のハゼにも浅い水深で会うことができます。 This is such a popular NEJIRINBOU YASHAHAZE tallow and also can meet at a shallow depth of the water.
どのポイントも魚が多く透明度もいい上にダイビングポイントまでの移動時間が少ないのも人気の秘密。 How many fish are points on transparency and good diving point less than the travel time is also popular in secret. 初心者から上級者まで楽しめます。 From beginner to advanced.

Enjoy,

Do you guys put together full packages (including flight and transportation)?

Clammy,

I am a freelance Divemaster and have worked for various US Military shops, but for civilians I can recomend Reef Encouners. Doug Benett is the owner and operator, he has a bilingual staff and also works tours to Yonoguni, or the southern tip of Japan. Doug's web site is: Okinawa Diving - Reef Encounters - Go Diving in Okinawa with Reef Encounters! English and Japanese speaking full service dive shop. There are numberous other US Skippers that run boats both on the Pacific side of the island and the East China Sea side of the island. I can look up these numbers for you also, but I have to dig out my dive log. I have contacts to US skippers that will dive the northern sites to include Hedo Dome, and the USS Emmons (US Destroyer). We (Okinawa) also have a type of Manatee here called the Dugon (about half the size of the Manatee), and I hope to dive with them some day. We are discovering new wrecks every day, as the Japanese fisherman have kept these wrecks secret for years but with the price of oil the Japanese fisherman can not afford to spend the fuel only on fishing. So now many of these secret wrecks which are also fish homes are being offered up to the US divers in order for the Japanese to pay the bills.

Yonaguni

In 1985, Kihachiro Aratake, a dive tour operator in Yonaguni, Japan was scouting for a new site to view hammerhead sharks. He had dropped into the water on the southeast side of the small island, off a place called Arakawa Point, expecting to see the normal crevices, coral heads, and possibly an entrance to an underwater cave. What lay before him, however, was something that no one had viewed in thousands of years. In the amazingly clear water, stretching to the limits of visibility was a megalithic structure that appeared to be man-made with expansive terraces interrupted by large angular steps and bounded by flat vertical walls. Further investigation revealed symmetrical and angular channels, round holes 7 feet (2 meters) deep, and angular, raised platforms. The megalith was over 300 feet (100 meters) long.

Word of the discovery spread slowly outside Japan. It was almost a decade before information began to appear in various media, much of which could be characterized as on the anthropological fringe. These articles were creative and unique, although often lacking factual basis. The first serious scientific studies began in 1996 by Professor Masaaki Kimura, a geologist at the University of the Ryukyus on Okinawa. He and his teams surveyed and documented the original structure. Since that time, several others have been found, although divers aren’t allowed to visit them yet because of on-going surveys.

Professor Kimura provides a balance between the fringe that cite this as evidence for an advanced prehistoric civilization and the nay Sayers who assert that this apparently sculpted massive rock structure and the others are a result of natural phenomena only. He believes and can back up those beliefs with pretty convincing evidence that the structure is human modified. However, he has no illusions about the modernity of its creators.

Dives on the “monument,” which is what the Japanese call it, typically begin at its west end. The strategy is to swim down to a protected assembly area as fast as possible, and then, as a group, venture out onto the first terrace and into the incredibly strong east bound current. Maintaining one’s position is difficult and sometimes impossible for more than a few seconds. Those with cameras must fin like crazy until they snap the shutter. Once they relax their kick, even a little, they slip backwards with the unseen torrent. Divers alternate between drifting across the terraces, and trying to find a hand hold or ducking into the lee of an angular outcropping to stop their drift. Handholds are often difficult to find because of the smoothness of the flat sandstone rock.

When diving the monument, there are essentially two routes to take. One is to continue down its entire length until angular features give way to an area that displays natural erosion characteristics. However, the erosion is from fresh rather than seawater. Because of the Ice Age, the level of the ocean was 130 feet (39 meters) lower ten thousand years ago. Eighteen thousand years ago it was 300 feet (100 meters) lower when the Northern Hemisphere had even a deeper covering of ice. The monument, which is 90 feet (27 meters) to the bottom would have been well above the tidal line back then and subject to the eroding forces of constantly running water. Knowing the sea levels gives us a crude means to approximate its age.

The other route is to launch midway down the monument, across a wide chasm, toward a smaller rock structure. On each end are carved steps and flat terraces. It's nowhere near as extensive as the monument, but interesting all the same.

The chasm is 90 feet (27 meters) deep. Investigating it, one finds both natural rock and some carved slabs that were apparently discarded from the structure. Near the edge of the monument is a cleared semicircle with a radius of about 20 feet (6 meters), which looks out-of-place with all the other rocks littering the bottom. One interesting feature is that there are nowhere near enough slabs to account for all the rock that would have had to be excised from the megalith. And there is no extraneous rock on any of the upper levels.

Other anomalies are scattered throughout. Near the assembly point is a four-foot (1.2 meter) high tunnel. The tunnel is part of a crude stone fence that would have presented a barrier to anyone seeking access to the monument from the south and west when it wasn't underwater. The fence itself is unique. It's made of limestone. According to Professor Kimura, there's no indigenous limestone in the area, meaning that someone long ago had to transport it there.

Once through the tunnel, a diver encounters twin stone pillars. The twin pillars are actually part of the same vertical rectangular rock, which somehow has been cut straight down the middle most of its length. Some think, and I'm among them, it was a work in progress and that the stone was being quarried for use somewhere else. Professor Kimura believes it may be a symbolic gateway to the structure itself.

The pillars are close to shore and their tops are no more than 10 to 15 feet below the crashing waves on the surface. This makes for a spectacular experience as one ascends up their length. On one of our dives, Aratake scrapped the fine coat of algae away from the rock and revealed what appeared to be a two-stroke glyph somewhat in the shape of the modern Chinese character for person . That the glyph could mean anything at all is highly speculative, but it’s there just the same. Similar etchings in stone are found up the coast in an area of shale and sandstone layering that is located above the tidal line.

On the top levels of the monument are stone platforms of different sizes. With average heights of 6 to 10 inches (15 to 25 cms) the rectangular and triangular shapes sit either attached to an existing rock face or independently on the terraces. On Okinawa, at low tide, in the shallows of Bolo Flats (Zanpa) and Maeda Flats you see the same type of raised rock. The stone around it was cut away years ago by local craftsmen for use as building materials.

Halfway down the length of monument, on the very top level, among the angular platforms and steps are two circular holes sitting side by side. They are each about 7 feet (2 meters) deep. They look like cisterns. There’s even a slot near the top where a cover could have gone.

At the absolute end of the monument, there’s a large stone, somewhat oval in shape that looks completely out of place with the surrounding terrain, which is flat and devoid of other rock. It sits on an angular base. The tip of the rock points due north. To some it appears to be a “sun rock,” which ancients used to determine time of day.

It is the current that defines the diving on the monument. It is rare when it isn’t running hard. The current is probably the reason for the discovery of the structure, itself. Nothing can take root on the monument’s smooth surface. Sessile organisms are swept away as fast as they land. Otherwise, the rock face might be covered by generations of coral growth.

Divers at times must work in the heavy current and sometimes their solutions to this difficult condition is clever, although not without risk. Two Okinawa based divers were photographically documenting the long edges of some of the steps. Professor Kimura wanted evidence of wedge marks on the incised rock. While one took 60 percent overlapping shots of the rock face with a Nikonos Close-up Kit, the other held on to him with one hand and the corner of the step with the other. Unfortunately, an unexpected diver came flying around the corner in the current while they were working. His tank impacted squarely on the photographer's head, which still bears the scar.

Professor Kimura's thinking is that whoever was responsible for carving this structure, probably long before metal tools were in use, inserted wood wedges wrapped in some type of cloth or plant material into holes in the rock. They then applied water, which caused the wood to swell, and the stone was excised. On some parts of the structure, absolutely straight lines are etched into the top of the rock with narrow triangular holes spaced about a foot apart, where wedges could have been inserted.

After 15 years, Yonaguni's true nature remains a mystery. To dive the monument is to go back to an age we know nothing about. It is a remnant of a prehistoric time. It may have been an ancient shrine. There are some structural similarities to ruins found on Okinawa. It might have been a quarry. There's evidence of that also, although that leads to a further question of where did ancient people take the rock. It may have been a port. Some of the steps on the monument do not go to bottom, but end half way down the structure. Whatever it was, all we really know is that it's there. Anything else is speculation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom