Come to Okinawa, Japan for World Class Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okinawa and Tokyo for that matter are not that expensive to visit.

Not for most people that have to pay $1,200-2,500 for a plane ticket.

Maybe when you come you should get away from the base a bit Tony.

You are joking right? We get our food and our gas on base and bring it home in Yonabaru to my mother inlaw's house. I have well over 9 years on the island and was never a base or barracks rat.

---------- Post added December 3rd, 2012 at 05:38 PM ----------

So MCAS finally got a shop. Waited since 1984 for that to happen.

Futenma does not have a dive shop.
Flight tickets to Okinawa are comparable or cheaper to any other Pacific destination (check flights to Thailand, Malaysia, Phillipines). Just recently flew round trip to Vegas for under $1000. Hotels prices range from $40 and up depending on budget and amenities offered - we also have many hostels and guest houses available for budget travelers and you can get good meals at restaurants for under $10. Shore diving is readily available with rental cars at about $50 a day or cheaper for multiday rentals.

Aloha from Hawaii! My unit is about to deploy to Okinawa and I am looking for some dive partners around the Camp Schwab area. My dive partner and I dive frequently around here and will be shipping our gear out right after diving this weekend. Also looking for recomendations for a good dive shop and some good shore diving around the Schwab area if possible. Any help we could get would be great! Thanks!

There is plenty of good shore dives on Okinawa- most you will need a car to get to from Schwab although there are a few dives right off the beach at Schwab that are not that bad if you do not mind a bit of a swim. The nearest base shop would be Hansen for tank rental or fills. You can contact me by pm also to schedule boat trips/dives or classes while you are here also.

Is Akai Diving in Akajima still in business? I dove with them in '96.

Japan-Diver, I agree with all your posts, Tony you might try on coming back and check on Okinawa, as it is the number one tourist destination for the Japanese, and when you come in the off season the hotel rates, and rental car rates are nearly half of those during the peak times. It pays to shop around. I have lived here off and on since 1997, and my in-laws are Okinawan, so we do know a couple things about the island.

Undrwater I have not dove out of Aka Jima, but I have dove off the back side of Tokashiki, and all of those dive shops are triving. You can take boats from Okinawa as well, as Japan-Dive's shop runs to Aka. For a list of shops near by, and dive sites check out...
East China Sea, Keramas Islands, Japan, Dive spots, Diving - HotDive.com

hi. I am considering a few places now for a dive between October 10 and October 17. are they any thing seasonal to see now in okinawa? I'm particularly interested in big things. like whale sharks. dolphins, hammerheads and such.. anyone knows a good dive center to recommend?

Aloha from Hawaii! My unit is about to deploy to Okinawa and I am looking for some dive partners around the Camp Schwab area. My dive partner and I dive frequently around here and will be shipping our gear out right after diving this weekend. Also looking for recomendations for a good dive shop and some good shore diving around the Schwab area if possible. Any help we could get would be great! Thanks!

I work on Schwab. You here with 2/3?

Back
Top Bottom