Come to Okinawa, Japan for World Class Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A former girlfriend's father is from Okinawa. He had offered to take me there several times as he returns to visit family frequently. It is a location I would enjoy diving at in the future.

Almost everybody speaks English? Really? Really!?
Irashai

I have lived in Okinawa, Japan since 1997 and I only speak a few words of Japanese. Both of my kids speak Japanese. I have had a very little problem getting around, ordering food, or making travel arrangments since I have lived here. The Okinawan's are very helpful. Of course this is my personal opinion.

Baracuda Smile

Hello All!

Well I guess I need to know what are the conditions there? Weather and water temperatures, currents, etc....

When is the best time to visit Okinawa and with whom do you dive with?

I'm ex-military but not a retiree so I don't think I can have access to the military installations.

I would be most interested in liveaboard diving if that were possible.

But just in case liveaboards are not available can someone give me a list of about three good dive ops to connect with.

Thanks

Temps in the summer can be 84F on the surface and 82F at 60 feet. In the winter temps get into the low 70's. I have dove for years on Okinawa in a 3mm, in the summer I dive in a swim suit. I did see a box jelly fish so a rash guard is recomended in the summer. Surf and Tides can be challenging at varrious sites especially diving from shore. It is recomended to have a local diver show you the sites, since they know the typical currents and conditions.

Any time after June though November the water is 3mm or less for 90% of the divers, however this is also typhoon (huricaine) season. Okinawa is very safe for enduring super typhoons however you can not dive in a typhoon. In the winter diving is still good with great visibility. In Feb, and March you can dive with Humpbacks, and possibly see sea turtles migration to shore to lay their eggs. You can go out on any of the Okinawan dive shops, or try Reef Encounters, which has an English speaking staff.

You still may be signed onto post by an active duty member. Do you have any friends stationed out here?

I know of numberous skippers, it is all about nogociating a price. Of course the more people you get on the boat the cheeper the boat becomes. Cost of fuel is hitting the Japanese harder than it is hitting the American's so be prepared to pay.

If you ever get to that side of the world, Okinawa is a great place to dive!

As a Marine I was originally certified at Larrys Dive Emporium (????) outside of Camp Hanson and did my first dive at Kin Red. My most memorable experience there was on my first dive after certification and we were swimming through a channel through the coral. Three HUGE rays swam over us and blocked out the sun. Thank god the wetsuit was a rental!

Can you remember what year that was that you got certified at Kin Red? The reason I asked is that we still dive Kin Red, but it is one of the sad stories on Okinawa. I have dove hundreds of sites in Okinawa, and have seen new animals and have seen corals growing on man made features, but in Kin Red the red clay run off has killed most of the coral. We still see lion fish, octopus, and some coral but not like what you have discribed. We still see huge rays. I saw an eagle ray of the coast near the sand islands, and many small sting rays in the Keramas.

A former girlfriend's father is from Okinawa. He had offered to take me there several times as he returns to visit family frequently. It is a location I would enjoy diving at in the future.
Dr Bill please come...I highly recomend it. and I am sure you will have a wonderful time and enjoy diving also.

For 8 years my S.O. was a wonderful Japanese-American woman (and she still is... we have remained friends). Her father was born and raised on Okinawa and Palau. He often suggested I should go to Okinawa with him when he returned to honor his ancestors. I wish I had (although he'd probably still welcome me).

So many places to dive, so little time... or money given the current value of the US$.

Oops, just notice I'd already posted something nearly identical here a month ago... chalk it up to Old Timers.

Dr. Bill I know everyone is feeling the economic crunch. The exchange rate is $1 = 150 Yen which is about what it has averaged for the last ten years. It might be worth while to strike up a friendship with this Okinawan as I found the Okinawan's very hospitipal. I know what you are saying about old timers as I have been around for a while myself. In two weeks I am traveling to the southern Ryukus to visit the Yonaguni ruins. By some estimates these ruins are 10,000 years old and were constructed before that last ice age. Many scientist do not want to acept this to be the oldest manmade monument on the face of the planet as it would rewrite achient history. he monuments sit in over 65' of water with excellent vis. In Feb and Mar there are 100's schooling hammerheads. Read more at: The Morien Institute - Exclusive Interview with Professor Masaaki Kimura about the underwater pyramid structures discovered off Yonaguni-Jima, Japan Okinawa Diving - Reef Encounters - Go Diving in Okinawa with Reef Encounters! English and Japanese speaking full service dive shop. and Yonaguni I plan to spend 10 days diving the monuments, Iromote, and Ishagaki. If you come to Okinawa, look me up and I can take you shore diving.

I visited Okinawa nearly 30 years ago, on a trip with the US Air Force, and ran into a guy I had gone to USAF Tech School with. He suggested I pick up some snorkeling gear at the BX, and we did some freediving around the island. It was beautiful, as you say, and I had a great time and saw some wonderful sights. I was very impressed by the people of Okinawa, and spending time in the water sure beat the heck out of spending time in the bar districts off-base the way many of the military men did.

I wouldn't mind going back for another visit someday, particularly if my wife and I go ahead with the scuba lessons.

Can you remember what year that was that you got certified at Kin Red? The reason I asked is that we still dive Kin Red, but it is one of the sad stories on Okinawa. I have dove hundreds of sites in Okinawa, and have seen new animals and have seen corals growing on man made features, but in Kin Red the red clay run off has killed most of the coral. We still see lion fish, octopus, and some coral but not like what you have discribed. We still see huge rays. I saw an eagle ray of the coast near the sand islands, and many small sting rays in the Keramas.

Hi Baracuda,
My original certification was February of 1991. I remember seeing lionfish and seasnakes at Kin Red but if my memory serves me correctly the Manta experience was at a site near Kadina. It was at a spot where the Navy had blown chanels through the coral for landing craft.
I'll dig out my old dive log and see if I wrote down the site name.

Is Larry's still around? I tried googleing the shop a few months ago but couldn't find it.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom