Come to Okinawa, Japan for World Class Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got back from an Okinawan diving vaction. I left on 17 Jul 08 and flew to Ishigaki, (We stayed in a hotel near the ferry port) but we flew into a typhoon. That afternoon we went to Taketomi where we went searching for star sand. The typhoons in Japan are no problem as all of the buildings in Japan are made of reinforced concrete. That night the typoon passed over us. After Ishigaki we flew to Yonaguni, Japan (on the 19th of Japan) the most western island in Japan just of the coast of Taiwan. I went to dive the ruins of Yonaguni, but due to the recent conditions of the typhoon, SaWes dive shop stated that the sea conditions and the currents were to strong to dive the monument. Instead we dove just outside the port for 3 dives a day for 3 days. We stayed in the penthouse suite of the Irfume hotel on the north side of the Yonaguni. The penthouse had a Japanese bar and the bedrooms in the back. The port is on the north side of the runway. The dive boat the Shota II was a very nice dive boat with an upper deck and entry either giant stride or rolling back entry. On the back of Shota II there are two ladders to climb out on the stern. The visibility was about 20m or 60 feet. Features are the white sand bottom and numberous sea turtles. We also saw a 5' white tip shark.

On the 23rd we flew to back to Ishigaki, and then took the ferry to Iromote Island. The dive shop (Enysea) picked us up at the ferry port and took us to our bed and breakfest (Ihara Guest House). My wife and I thoughly enjoyed the guest house. The diving on Iromote was oustanding with 100' visibility. The first day I dove with 2 large manta rays, that came so close that I could of touched them. Other dives were awsome as well. The dive boat was LaRena and it can hold twenty divers. We had ten divers so it was comfortable. The water temps were 82F to 84F so I did not wear a wet suit. The hard corals were beutiful, and adbundant. The colors of the hard corals are dazzeling. There were many fish, and many caves to explore. The host of our guest house fixed us fresh lobster on the first night and constantly worked to make menu's according to our tastes. Neither my wife nor I speak but a couple of words of Japanese, and we found it easy to change flights, catch cabs, ferrys, and eat with out many language barriers. I feel I would have more problem speaking Spanish in Mexico than speaking Japanese in Japan. The Japanese (divers, hosts, and diveshops) were eager to engage us with there knowledge of English. Okinawa is truely a world class diving location.

Since all 4 branches of the Military dive on Okinawa, and we have dive shops sponsored by US Marine Corps Tsunami Gear, US Airforce Kadena Marina, and US Army Torii Beach Dive Locker, I thought I would share with the rest of the Active, Reserve, National Guard, and Retired some of the many dive sites we have on Okinawa. This list is combination of sites that I have dove, sites listed in Diving Point Map by Okinawa Marine Publications, A Divers Guide by John Chandler, Dive Sites map by Kadena Marina, and Dive Tables Okinawa, Japan by MCCS Marine Corps, SaWes Dive shop Yonaguni, Enysea Dive Shop Iromote, and my personal experiance.

Dive Sites of Okinawa
By Barracuda Smile 2008
From South to North
P Indicates Pacific Side
* Indicates Boat Dive

1. Suicide Cliffs P
2. Channel Crevasses/Ookaigan/John Man Beach
3. Misume *
4. Southern Links
5. Yamashirokaigan #1
6. Yamashirokaigan #2
7. Gushikawjouato****a
8. Rukan East Drop Off *
9. Kamiyama Minamiezuke Oki Deep *
10. Kamiyamajima *
11. Nagannutou *
12. Kuefutou *
13. Ojima Island P
14. Hansen Beach
15. Convention Center South
16. Convention Center North
17. Water Treatment Plant Point #1
18. Water Treatment Plant Point #2
19. Monroe Point
20. Chatanoki *
21. Sunabe California Side/ Curry House
22. Sunabe Point #1 / Arc Divers
23. Seaside Palace
24. Junkyard
25. Runway Lights
26. Pipelines
27. Kadena Marina
28. Naval Kadena
29. Kadena Steps/Kadena Seawall
30. Mitzugama/ Kadena North
31. Mitzugama/ Kadena North Red Bouy Marker-Fish Boxes
32. Hija River
33. Devils Cove
34. Devils Cove Wreck
35. Devils Cove Atol
36. Motor Pool
37. Torri Beach
38. Yomitan Port Whale Shark *
39. Kourizampa *
40. 5 Old Lady Seaweed Beach
41. Tombs Yomitan
42. Rifle Range
43. Zanpa Misaki/ Cape Zanpa/ Bolo Point
44. Zanpa Misaki/ Cape Zanpa/ Bolo Point North
45. Meada Flats
46. Meada Misaki/Meada Point
47. Meada Caves
48. Malibu Beach
49. Green Beach
50. Onna Flats
51. Onna Point
52. Onna Trench
53. Apogama
54. Hoshu/Hoshukita/Horse Shoe Beach
55. Ahshukita/Toliet Bowl
56. ANA Hotel South
57. ANA Hotel Central
58. ANA Hotel North/Pier
59. Manza Dream Hole
60. Coral *
61. Seragaki Inner Reef
62. Seragaki Outer Reef
63. White Beach P
64. Tsuken Isand P *
65. 5 X-Mas tree Beach P
66. Ikei Big Time Resort P
67. Mama San P
68. Miyuki Beach P
69. Tengan Beach P
70. Tengan Peir P
71. Kin Blue P
72. Kin Red P
73. Oura Wan Bay P
74. Gesashi Loran Site P
75. Tombs
76. Diamond Beach
77. Kise
78. Kyoda
79. Three Rocks
80. Saki Motobu/ Gorilla Chop
81. Eagle Pipes
82. Serakogyosho Island
83. Pumkin *
84. The Labyrinth *
85. Camel
86. Cable *
87. Yoshjinone *
88. Cabetsu Batake *
89. Shinzato *
90. Sakiyama *
91. USS Emmons located 1km North off of Kouri Island *
92. Okuma South
93. Okuma North
94. Shippishi Drop *
95. Shippishi North *
96. W-Rock *
97. Coral Garden
98. Juhyou No Mori
99. Yona Tunnel
100. Sate
101. Futagamiiwa *
102. Hedo Misaki Dome *
103. Misaki Canyon/Hedo Gulch
104. Misaki ****a/ Hedo Beach
105. Hedo Three Pools
106. Pinnacles North *
107. Pinnacles South *
108. Shibishi Island *
109. Outer Buoy P *
110. Light House P *
111. Keramas Pipeline *
112. Keramas Gishippu *
113. Keramas Kuroshima / Twin Rocks *
114. Keramas Zamami *
115. Keramas Ariga *
116. Keramas Maeshima *
117. Keramas Mae Jima/ White River *
118. Keramas Manta Point *
119. Keramas Two Rocks *
120. Keramas Turtle Inlet *
121. Keramas Sharks Bay/Three Rocks *
122. Keramas Turtle Sand Bay *
123. Keramas South Tokashiki Wreck *
124. Ie Shima/ IE island Ohoba *
125. Ie Shima/ IE island Waaji *
126. Ie Shima/ IE island Double Arches *
127. Ie Shima/ IE island Patch Reef *
128. Ie Shima/ IE island Minna Jimma *
129. Yonaguni Ippon-Ishi *
130. Yonaguni Noridai *
131. Yonaguni North Airport *
132. Yonaguni Rokujo *
133. Yonaguni SaWes Coral Garden *
134. Yonaguni Rainbow Bridge *
135. Yonaguni Umabanna-Hanareiwa *
136. Yonaguni Dannu Drop *
137. Iromote, Kamukawa Wan, Nakanose *
138. Iromote, Ochimizuzaki, Butterfly Fish Point *
139. Iromote, South Canyon *
140. Iromote, Aritori Wan, Fukaba *
141. Iromote, Sukukaiyama Wan, Azami *
142. Iromote, Yonasoni Wan, Typhoon Chapel/ Hurricane Chapel*
143. Iromote, Sakai Yama Island, North Corner*
144. Iromote, Hanagoi No Ne*
145. Iromote, Sotobahare Island South Minami*

welcome aboard

*first post*
Just stopping in to say hi. I'm based out of Okinawa and this is the only place I have ever dove. Still haven't been many places on island but am looking forward to change this.

I'm looking to go to Yonaguni but my background is archaeology so I'm with the mainstream opinion that they are just incredible natural formations. But, I can't wait to look at the site as an archaeologist, not as a diver.

*first post*
Just stopping in to say hi. I'm based out of Okinawa and this is the only place I have ever dove. Still haven't been many places on island but am looking forward to change this.

I'm looking to go to Yonaguni but my background is archaeology so I'm with the mainstream opinion that they are just incredible natural formations. But, I can't wait to look at the site as an archaeologist, not as a diver.

Diving the ruins is definately a unique dive. I have not met a diver yet that has dove the ruins that thinks they are natural. I have done some research with Okinawan, and Japanese archaeology that believe there are many similarities between what has been discovered in Yonaguni and the pyramids of Peru. The theroy is that Okinawa's, may have discovered America first, via crossing the Pacific, much like the Hawaian Islands were occupied by sea fareing peoples. The are similaries, between Yonaguni and Peru. One is there is a face carved into stone that looks like the faces on Easter Island. The Step Pyamid is also similar to those found in Peru. I think you definately need to dive Yonaguni for your self, and make up your own mind.

welcome aboard

Have you looked into scented candles? My wife has discovered many scented candles and stuff out here in Asia. My wife bought gell candles, and floating candles factory from Chaing Mai, Thailand. Maybe you could make a buisness trip out this way and do some diving on the side.

Okinawa is the BEST, i love it here.
i will post new pics on (Totaltide . com) soon.

Tell me when your pictures are posted I would love to look at them. I have my photo's posted on this site under my album. Check them out! They are all taken in the Okinawan, Islands.

Do you guys put together full packages (including flight and transportation)?

I did some research and here is what I have found.

North of Nago Boat Charters Hedo Dome, USS Emmons, IE Island northofnago@ezweb.ne.jp 090-3790-2924 ask for Chuck

Oki Diving Seragaki Onna Village okidiving@gmail.com CPT David 090-5290-9232 CPT Chris 090-9788-0282

Far East Marine Dive Company fareastmaridiveco@gmail.com 090-9786-0543

Reef Encounters International http:reefencounters.org info@reefencounters.org 098-995-9414 090-1940-3528

O2 Dive Okinawa http://www7.ocn.ne.jp/~02dive 098-956-7791 mobile 090-5389-7275

Asian Dive Tours Asian Dive Tours! Contact: 098-964-4007 or 090-5025-3153 and ask for Nancy or E-mail asian_dive_tours@hotmail.com

ALL,

I got this information off of ƒ_ƒCƒrƒ“ƒOuK•ƒ_ƒCƒrƒ“ƒOƒVƒ‡ƒbƒvî•ñ|PADI It might help you to plan your trip.

PADI dive shop in Okinawa Prefecture
各島までの交通と所要時間 Transportation to the island and the journey time ■那覇 ■ Naha 慶良間諸島 Kerama Islands 約20~90分 20 to 90 minutes 41km
■那覇 ■ Naha 久米島 Kume Island 約35分 About 35 minutes 95km
■那覇 ■ Naha 宮古島 Miyako Island 約45分 About 45 minutes 290km
・東京 Tokyo 宮古島 Miyako Island 約2時間40分 Approximately 2 hours 40 minutes
・大阪 Osaka 宮古島 Miyako Island 約2時間10分 Approximately 2 hours 10 minutes
■那覇 ■ Naha 石垣島 Ishigaki Island 約55分 About 55 minutes. 410km
・東京 Tokyo 石垣島 Ishigaki Island 約3時間30分 Approximately 3 hours 30 minutes
■石垣島 ■ Ishigaki 西表島 Iriomote Island 約40分 About 40 minutes

The number of PADI Dive shops by location...

沖縄本島・北部 Northern Okinawa Island (5)
沖縄本島・中部 Central Okinawa Island (22)
沖縄本島・南部 South of Okinawa Island (27)
伊平屋島・伊是名島 Izena island Iheya Island (0)
粟国島 Aguni Island (0)
渡名喜島 Tonaki Island (0)
慶良間諸島 Kerama Islands (3)
久米島 Kume Island (2)
宮古島 Miyako Island (6)
石垣島 Ishigaki (13)
西表島 Iriomote Island (2)
与那国島Yonaguni Island (0) Note there are at least 4 dive shops on Yonaguni maybe not PADI resorts.

Back
Top Bottom