Comal River this Saturday?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know the answers to these questions are in the SB archive somewhere, but a search didn't help too much in finding them. Therefore, I'll just ask and hope someone can fill in the blanks. A friend and I are thinking about diving the Comal on Saturday. However, I'm thinking things might be a bit problematic for this time of year. I've dived it before, but it was in the summer and trams were operating (for the tubers). I'm assuming that isn't the case now. Here are the issues I need help with.
1) What is a good put in point and is parking available near that place?
2) We will be bringing only one vehicle. Is there an easy way (I don't think a Taxi will want wet divers in their seats) to get back to our starting points?
3) I've only dives the upper reaches of the river. Is there a better dive, say, farther down?

Thanks for any info you can provide. By the way, we welcome any other TSD folks to come join us. Come on!

Guba -

I posted a similar question a few months back and jay_SMART_diver was nice enough to provide this response:

"You can park one vehicle at Hinman Island park (above the Tube Chute) or at Prince Solms park (Below the Tube Chute). [SIDE NOTE: During the Summer Weekends the City usually blocks off the parking spaces at Hinman Is. so they can get you to pay the $5.00 to park at Prince Solms.] For the other vehicle go back out to E. San Antonio Street turn left go to S Union Ave and turn right. S Union T's off into Lincoln street and directly ahead of that intersection you will see the Last Public Exit for the Comal, [on that corner the tube outfitters have awnings set up for their shuttles] turn right on W Lincoln St and there will be an apartment complex about 80 yds from the corner on the Left (Schlitterbahn is on the right) Flip a U-turn and park on the apartment complex side of the street, make sure you are outside the no parking signs or you'll have a long walk back to Hinman Island with full gear. When I did this we walked up the stairs from the Public Exit, we shed our gear ,one of us stayed with the stuff and the other got the vehicle we parked down Lincoln, pulled up and we tossed our gear in and took off back to Hinman to break down and pack up. Hope this helps!!"

The original thread is
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/texas-swamp-divers/220744-comal.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom