Colorado's Holy Grail of diving??!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kick *** DD. Sounds like an excellent trip!

Those are cool shots! Looks like an interesting dive spot!!

Thanks for posting Kent!

ddavies,
How's you quest coming. If you need a dive buddy let me know, I would be interested in diving different lakes around the area. The same old lakes get boring.
D

Hey DD,

Just found your posts, nothing since 2006 and it appears your pics are no longer around. The dive sounds great, can you update us as to anything new with the site(s)? While I don't mind bonzaiing down there, it would be nice to have an updated plan, if possible.

Thanks,

C

Hey DD,

Just found your posts, nothing since 2006 and it appears your pics are no longer around. The dive sounds great, can you update us as to anything new with the site(s)? While I don't mind bonzaiing down there, it would be nice to have an updated plan, if possible.

Thanks,

C

I can't believe that you found this old thread! I have no idea what happened to the fotos. I don't even have them on my hard-drive anymore. If I can locate the disk they are on, it might be worth reloading them here.

A good friend of mine was the exclusive powerboat fishing guide on Morrow Point Res. He has since moved to Salt Lake City. I'm not sure who guides there now, but setting a charter up at Lake Fork Marina would probably still work. There is also a tour boat that takes people for sight seeing cruises down there..that's it, 2 boats for public access and one park ranger boat.
Access to the res is just southwest of the Blue Mesa Dam, and it is a hump to get down there...and then back out again. When we mounted our little expedition in 2006, we had a few friends come along and act as sherpas. It really does have potential, but a solid emergency and evac plan should be considered before attempting any dives there. The history, the views, and excellent fishing are reasons enough to go down there though.

I have a bunch of Denver and Rio Grande fotos from the 1890s as well as some old maps. The marina sells fishing maps whith GPS coordinates and there is an excellent history of Gunnison Country book by Duane Vandenbush which has much key information in it.

Since then, I've tried a number of high mountain lakes near Cameron Pass, west of Fort Collins. Lots of algae..even leaches..yuck. Lake San Cristobal near Lake City, CO could be fantastic, cold but clear. Easy access and not too high of altitude at just over 8000'. I've been there a dozen times, but never with my gear.

I've considered packing gear in with packhorses, to some very clear high mountain lakes near Crested Butte, and may still do that.
As King Aurthur discovered though, the holy grail is elusive.

DD,

All of this sounds great as I'm always looking for a "local" place to dive. Thanks for the advice, I will definitely look in to the even more.

Good bubbles,

C

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom