Colorado's Holy Grail of diving??!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divedoggie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
:usa_2: :2ar15smil We are mounting an expedition on Friday into a fabled land that will hopefully yield some amazing results.
RonFrank came up with the idea of searching for Colorado's diving holy grail, which thus far, has been elusive. He can't join us on this quest, but the results will be posted here on Saturday!

I have information about a very special place with 60 to 80 feet of viz, 400 feet deep, sunken 1880s intact railroad tressels, 1000 foot spires that start 400 feet down and thrust out of the water into the sky. Circumnavigating the spire, and checking out some 30 to 40 lb lake trout, salmon, browns, and rainbows. Apparently there are a fortune in lures snagged on one of the railroad bridges. If we recover enough of them, it will pay for the trip.

Surface intervals will be spent fishing and sightseeing.

The dives will be from one of two boats which are permitted in the area. We have to hire the boat and the guide for the day. Water temps will start around 60 at the surface, and quickly plummet to about 44 degrees.

Its not easy to get to, and it will remain un-named for now, but the elevation is about 6800 feet, and its deep in a canyon. Our guide has been fishing there for years, and he reports looking at objects 60 to 100 feet down (according to his boat's depthfinder), and seeing them perfectly.

Digital topside pics and a log report will be posted here after the expedition on Friday.

Oooooo, now that sounds interesting!!! How far from Albuquerque??

oooohhhhhh .. I would most certainly make a trek to colorado for some diving like that. Keep us posted!!!

I heard the CO holy grail was at 11,500 ft near an unnamed ghost town and was a silty bottom littered with gold coins circa 1870.

Anxiously awaiting more details on this grail though.

DiveDoggie, I eagerly await your trip report.

Maybe your guide would be interested in taking out more people, if this turns out as good as you make it sound.

Maybe your guide would be interested in taking out more people, if this turns out as good as you make it sound.[/QUOTE]

DITTO! I'll be out in CO in August, how far from Denver are we talking?!:lol:

Thanks to your post on another thread, I believe I know where you are going. I hope it is all you hope it to be.

As for me, I was not looking for a holy grail but I am interested in trying all the lakes in the area. Anyone else interested in just trying the various lakes in CO?

Based on my conversation with DD, I believe it's about 4 hours from Denver. I know where he's going, but my time estimates tend to be a little off due to the leadfoot I have.

I am looking forward to the report though. From what I've heard, this place has the potential, but is the end result worth the effort to get there - that is the question.

That IS the question!
Will it be worth it?
Even if it is incredible, it will still be an effort and an adventure.
It will not be everyone's cup of tea. I know of many people who will only dive the Caribbean.
Many of us here like drysuit diving, pioneering new sites, and the satisfaction of accomplishing the dives after putting in some major effort.

I wouldn't want ALL of my diving to be like that, but maybe once a year.....

On another note,
We told the park service what we were doing, and they said, "no problem." They just don't want us spear fishing!

Back
Top Bottom