Colorado Dive Days - August 4, 2007

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Colorado Diving Day - in brief

Because of other commitments, we were only there for a couple of hours, and most of that was listening to Dr. Cundiff’s interesting talk on Cnidarians.

The event was like Scuba Extasea in miniature, but with the added dimension of diving.
There were 6-8 nearby stores represented, and 6-8 vendors.

When we swung by Scubaboard, both Howard and Michelle were deep in conversations, so I did not interrupt. Now I can place faces with their names, but they can’t reciprocate.

It would be nice if this event happened again, and grew.

I made it out to the dive beach only to find out that you guys were at the swim beach and I had also forgotten my wallet so I wasn't able to get in :sorry19z:

on a side note, It's interesting that this wasn't publicised or mentioned at my LDS

Red 5, is your LDS a member of the CSRA? Most of them are listed at www.divecolorado.com

I know that the LDS's I have worked with in the past, Denver Divers, Flat Irons Scuba and A1 were all represented. I actually signed up through Flat Irons on Friday and was provided my tank then.

I dove twice, the first was the poker run. The compass directions seemed to be backwards, but we found all five cards. My pair of nines wasn't good enough to win a price, but the water was warm and visibility was poor.

There was 6-9 LDS with booths along with at least as many manufacturers as well as a couple of the trip companies (I know I saw Funjet). ANd of course ScubaBoard.

In the afternoon I did a dive over at Scuba beach with Ron Frank and MA Shark Diver. We found the plane, which in the low vis, was more by the braile method than through visual inspection.

Didn't win any of the raffles, but it was interesting to see the person win the big trip on the agressor pick up her prize working her way up on her Oxygen tank. Hopefully she will be able to transfer the chip to someone else.

It was a good time, the weather was nice and the company was great. Hopefully they will be able to do it again.

The vis was about as bad as I've seen it at Aurora! I think between the rain, the algae bloom, and the fact there were about 40 divers at the scuba beach all doing the plane, the vis was just killer bad! :shakehead

We had fun as always regardless. Good diving with both George, and MA shark diver.

I had fun just hanging out with Howard and Muggsy at the booth! Dan I got you a shirt, XXL! I also have SB stickers for anyone in our area that would like one.

I learned something yesterday about my SK7 compass. I posted that in the link below. I was wondering why I was having so much trouble navigating.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=3009857#post3009857

I'm betting this will be an annual event. I had fun talking with the vendors, and hanging out with dive Buddies. As the old saying goes, a bad day of diving is still better than a good day at work! :D

Having been to several dive shows, I must say, "Hats off to the CSRA" for making the first annual (I'm sure there will be a second) Colorado Dive Day. For a first time around, I thought the attendance was admirable, and the participation from manufacturers, travel, and dive shops was also admirable. It can only get bigger and better from here.

It was great to see all of the SB'ers who came out - come out :D

It was nice meeting the new ones we haven't met before, and great to see the ones that we've already met in the past.

I'm glad that SB'ers made a strong showing yesterday, and hopefully we'll be able to make the next RMO gathering :D

The vendor turnout was impressive, and there was some great stuff to demo.

I was talking to Wes from Flat Irons, and they had DUI drysuits to demo, and other tech gear. Oceanic had the new HUD mask for demo. APS MantaRay had fins to demo, as did Atomic, and I believe Atomic had the newish subframe and frameless masks as well as the T2 and other regs.

I think we can do more to promote this next year. I KNOW that folks may have made a bigger effort to come out had they known that there was so much equipment there to demo.

The turnout was a bit lighter than I had been lead to believe, however it was the FIRST annual show, so next year it should be a bit better.

I had fun yesterday, although I was disappointed to see the area on the swim beach where they had the divers huddled together. I thought the buoy area was way too small, and everyone I spoke to said the diving was horrid. We were going to go over to the scuba beach to dive, but decided to take a day off during the week instead and head over - hopefully the visability will be better.

It was great meeting Howard and Michelle (I'm the other Michelle), and speaking to the other vendors there. When we were there, it was pretty light in the vendor area, but just as we left, it started to pick up a bit.

georoc01:
Red 5, is your LDS a member of the CSRA? Most of them are listed at www.divecolorado.com

yep, they're listed as members.

they were pushing the Turquoise Lake get together later this month(?). No mention of this though.

too bad.. I bet if there was better distribution of the information, the turn out would have reflected it.

btw, what were the temps out there?

minimum recommended suit?

(I'm a member of the 80/80 club) :wink:

Red_5:
yep, they're listed as members.

they were pushing the Turquoise Lake get together later this month(?). No mention of this though.

too bad.. I bet if there was better distribution of the information, the turn out would have reflected it.

You can post this trip in the "Trips and Marketplace" within the RMO Forum, you can also encourage people from your dive club to post the info here on SB as well :wink:

If you add the item to the LOCAL CALENDAR - then there is a sign up sheet as well :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom