Clipping off light head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jason B:
Item 24485A1 from Mcmaster.com $13.69

24485ap1l.gif

Well that's a heck of alot better than the dive shop!

But after loosing 2 of them in 2 months I still think I'm done with them.

amascuba:
My GUE instructor had me put bungee loops on the goodman handle and on the rear ballast of my light and stow the double ender on my right d-ring when the light is in use. That was this last weekend.

From my understanding, the DIR procedure is now (and has been since the beginning of 2007) to have a single (small) fixed snap on the goodman handle and a loop on the ballast and take a double-ender for the ballast loop.

limeyx:
From my understanding, the DIR procedure is now (and has been since the beginning of 2007) to have a single (small) fixed snap on the goodman handle and a loop on the ballast and take a double-ender for the ballast loop.

Yes, this is the latest GUE recommendation. It is detailed in the latest GUE procedural changes document, dated Nov 6, 2006.

http://www.gue.com/Training/ProceduralChanges/nov2006changes.pdf

rjack321:
Well that's a heck of alot better than the dive shop!

But after loosing 2 of them in 2 months I still think I'm done with them.
I've got two of those things sitting in my save-a-dive kit ... one came with my Helios and one came with my Salvo. Both are fairly useless, except for cutting lengths of cave line for tying off bolt snaps and whatnot ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Not DIR or anything, but problem solving is always fun.

What about taking stripping down some 550 cord (para cord-can find at camping/army surplus stores), cut the end off of a wire tie, sliding the wire tie into the 550 cord and tie the cord to the light. This would give you a loop of the size you require and the wire tie inside of it would give it some substance so that the loop does not collapse as easily. To make it more resistant, slide two wire ties inside the cord.

I decided against the permanent bolt snap on the handle since the only time I ever have the light clipped off there is when I first jump in the water. Any other time, and I have it clipped at the rear, since the light is on. I only turn the light off and stow it from the handle at my last decompression stop since I do not know if the surface conditions are okay until that point.

So, I have a loop of cave line on the handle and one on the butt. The double ender stays wherever I happened to have last clipped it. I bring an extra double ender in case I drop this one. I see no point in having two bolt snaps when one will do the trick.

But, strictly speaking, my way is not DIR, though I think we'll all concede that this is a pretty minor point that has little impact on the team. :)

GIFFMANN:
Not DIR or anything, but problem solving is always fun.

What about taking stripping down some 550 cord (para cord-can find at camping/army surplus stores), cut the end off of a wire tie, sliding the wire tie into the 550 cord and tie the cord to the light. This would give you a loop of the size you require and the wire tie inside of it would give it some substance so that the loop does not collapse as easily. To make it more resistant, slide two wire ties inside the cord.

We don't use wire anything. Stuff may need to be cut free. Bungie does everything your way does and more. Don't reinvent the wheel.

Not advocating "wire" anything. Wire ties are plastic and should be no problem to cut free. Plus the wire tie would be inside the nylon sheath which is probably almost as easy to cut as cave line and certainly easier to cut than an O ring.

The plastic piece just "floats" inside of the 550 cord. It does nothing but provide some support to the nylon to allow it easier to clip to. Very similar to what many military members use on the bottom of their magazines to allow them to extract them from the pouches quicker/easier.

Also, while bungie works, is it necesarily the best way? Personally, I've had better luck tying paracord than bungie and I have TONS of paracord lying around. Plus, the inner strands of paracord could be used for tying bolt snaps to gear if one was so inclined :14:

rjack321:
We don't use wire anything. Stuff may need to be cut free. Bungie does everything your way does and more. Don't reinvent the wheel.
I think wire ties are another name for zip ties. :D

Soggy:

But, strictly speaking, my way is not DIR, though I think we'll all concede that this is a pretty minor point that has little impact on the team. :)

It is somewhat minor, but say someone has to do unconscious diver tow on you.
They need to stow both yours and their lights first. Best way to do this is from the goodman handle side so it doesn't dangle.

With the fixed clip, it's easy -- clip is right there.
Futzing around rummaging through D-rings/pockets for a spare double ender is just going to slow things down.

Still, maybe minor (especially given the probably success rate of unconscious diver tow)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom