Clipping off light head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DIR-Atlanta:
O-rings are much more likely to become brittle and crack, especially over time and with exposure to the elements (salt water, etc). This makes them more prone to breakage (and always at the most inopportune time). Cave line is practically indestructible, and only requires a single piece to attach and form the loop (as opposed to the two-piece type of attachment that would be required for an O-rings or bungee).

If you are heading down to Blue water on the 31st I like to see how it looks.

Brian

I use a bungie loop secured with cave line, no problems so far...

DIR-Atlanta:
Cave line is practically indestructible, and only requires a single piece to attach and form the loop (as opposed to the two-piece type of attachment that would be required for an O-rings or bungee).
Yes, but bungie maintains the shape better and it's easier to clip-off (at least to me).

OK so one of the strengths of GUE is standards - and here is the standard for light heads.

During certain diving scenarios it becomes desirable to clip the light head such that the beam points down away from a team member’s eyes. In order to facilitate this need while reducing the complexity of multiple clips GUE procedures utilize the placement of a permanent clip on the handle of the light head and a loop at the rear of the light head. The rear loop allows the diver to temporarily clip a double end clip to the beck of the light head. The permanent placement of clip at the handle ensures that a clip is available at the most important location and is easily used should it be necessary to stow the light permanently in the event of a failure or when the light is no longer needed. This clip is placed on the right side where the diver can hold it with the thumb of their left hand. Lights that are no longer in use should be stowed with the light cord tucked under the long hose.

So...... the standard is a loop - Doesn't say whether it should be bungy or an O ring or cave line. Like many of our standards they are principles whcih are borne out of good diving practice rather than rules.

My own experience is that cave line makes a loop which is hard to snap into one handed, first time, everytime.

Stowing your light should ideally be a one handed operation - not merely becasue it looks cool but also you may be in need of your other hand at the time!

Take the double ender from your D ring, snap it into the loop whilst the light is still on the back of your hand, and then stow on the D ring - using the same end of the double ender. Make it a quick, slick, practised action which you can do, after practice, without much effort. (don't forget to tuck the cord in your belt - under the long hose - no matter how you clip off your light.

Personally I use a bungy loop tied off and glued then attached to the light in the groove at the end of the ballast which Halcyon have designed in to eth light for this purpose. If you struggle to tie tight line make sure you tie it when wet - line tied dry slackens off when wet.

HTH :)

I use cave line as in this picture of George Irvine's light.
goodman_boltsnap_r.jpeg

Clare Gledhill:
OK so one of the strengths of GUE is standards - and here is the standard for light heads.

So...... the standard is a loop - Doesn't say whether it should be bungy or an O ring or cave line. Like many of our standards they are principles whcih are borne out of good diving practice rather than rules.

My own experience is that cave line makes a loop which is hard to snap into one handed, first time, everytime.

Stowing your light should ideally be a one handed operation - not merely becasue it looks cool but also you may be in need of your other hand at the time!

Take the double ender from your D ring, snap it into the loop whilst the light is still on the back of your hand, and then stow on the D ring - using the same end of the double ender. Make it a quick, slick, practised action which you can do, after practice, without much effort. (don't forget to tuck the cord in your belt - under the long hose - no matter how you clip off your light.

Personally I use a bungy loop tied off and glued then attached to the light in the groove at the end of the ballast which Halcyon have designed in to eth light for this purpose. If you struggle to tie tight line make sure you tie it when wet - line tied dry slackens off when wet.

HTH :)

Thanks for the info Clare. Do you store your double ender for this in a pocket, on a d-ring, or somewhere else?

EDIT - Whoops, looks like I should have read more carefully, you said you have it on your d-ring :)

My GUE instructor keeps a spare double ender on his right D-ring.

TSandM:
My GUE instructor keeps a spare double ender on his right D-ring.

As do I. If I want to clip the light off, I need to be able to do it fairly quickly. If I have to fiddle around in my pocket to get the double ender out, then it's not that quick. I use the rear attachment on my light lots. Especially when I'm doing video dives, where the Video rig has lights on it, but I want my primary light on for signalling.

HTH

John

The one from the right d-ring also makes a handy dandy spare when you or your buddy drops one shooting a bag midwater (actually I haven't done that). Need to keep that spool under control. :wink:

Then fish for the real spare double ender in your pocket (which pocket that goes it I forget - right pocket I think)

I've seen one variation uses 2 bungie loops - one attached to the Goodman Handle with cave line, the other to the ballast end, using same. A single double ender was attached between the 2 loops while the light was in use. When the light was to be stowed, one or the other end was detached from the corresponding loop, then reattached to D-Ring. For example, if you wanted to stow the light so that the head pointed down, you'd detach the forward end of the clip from the loop that was connected to the Goodman Handle end, leaving the other end of the clip still attached to the loop at the ballast end. I guess the idea is to save you form having to carry a spare double ender. It seems like a slick idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom