Clipping off light head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

riguerin:
I've seen one variation uses 2 bungie loops - one attached to the Goodman Handle with cave line, the other to the ballast end, using same. A single double ender was attached between the 2 loops while the light was in use. When the light was to be stowed, one or the other end was detached from the corresponding loop, then reattached to D-Ring. For example, if you wanted to stow the light so that the head pointed down, you'd detach the forward end of the clip from the loop that was connected to the Goodman Handle end, leaving the other end of the clip still attached to the loop at the ballast end. I guess the idea is to save you form having to carry a spare double ender. It seems like a slick idea.

This one is not DIR anymore.
Reasoning is that having a fixed boltsnap on the Goodman handle means you can stow the light easily (without having to find a double-ender) in a stressful situation more quickly.

Timely thread! I was literally opening up the forum to post a thread on just how to do this with my new Salvo 21w! (my new best friend, btw) I got it wet this weekend for the first time, and Mo2vation recommended a temporary rig with a double ender and a zip tie, which got me through the weekend (easy open water daylight conditions, so a failure would have been pretty irrelevant), but I'd like to set it up properly now that I'm back home.

I'd love to see some pictures of the caveline attachment to the bungee loop: Is it literally just a quarter-size ring of bungee made by tying a reef/square knot into a couple inches of bungee? Then tie the sucker onto your light? I vaguely recall seeing pictures once or twice, but I sure can't find them at the moment, nor were they really close up enough to REALLY see what was going on.

As for the fixed snap, if you're holding your light in normal use, does the snap get attached to the right side (by your thumb) or the left (pinky)? The photo of GI's lighthead cited above, which I also found on the GUE page, seems to have it on the left, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

CompuDude:
As for the fixed snap, if you're holding your light in normal use, does the snap get attached to the right side (by your thumb) or the left (pinky)? The photo of GI's lighthead cited above, which I also found on the GUE page, seems to have it on the left, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Looking at position of screw, knife and blotsnap, I looks that this picture is inverted.

BTW proper position is right side to enable you to control bolt-snap with your thumb.

Compudude-I just received my new 21 Watt Salvo Also; great light. I almost orderded one of the knives for the handle by keep questioning its use in ocean diving. The blade is very small not shore if it would cut any thing other than cave line.

Brian

Don't use a square knot with bungie ring, use a single fisherman's. Squareknots won't work without an object to draw them tight around.

But yes its a bungie loop about the size of a quarter tied onto the cord with about 3 wraps of cave line. Chris LM in MX (GUE cave instructor) actually redid mine for me last December.

limeyx:
This one is not DIR anymore.
Reasoning is that having a fixed boltsnap on the Goodman handle means you can stow the light easily (without having to find a double-ender) in a stressful situation more quickly.

My GUE instructor had me put bungee loops on the goodman handle and on the rear ballast of my light and stow the double ender on my right d-ring when the light is in use. That was this last weekend.

MonkSeal:
Looking at position of screw, knife and blotsnap, I looks that this picture is inverted.

BTW proper position is right side to enable you to control bolt-snap with your thumb.
Ok, I thought that seemed strange; that makes sense. I was pretty sure it was supposed to be by my thumb, so that picture really threw me.

Does anyone really still use those little Tekna knives on their goodman handle like that? I haven't seen those knives in years! I'm sure it would be handy on occasion, but I wouldn't even know where to find one these days... and I'm not thrilled about screwing it into my handle, either.

I'll look up a fisherman's knot and avoid the square knot. Thanks!

MonkSeal:

While agree with what you said, from the location of the thumb loop, I'd say no inverting took place.

CompuDude:
Ok, I thought that seemed strange; that makes sense. I was pretty sure it was supposed to be by my thumb, so that picture really threw me.

Does anyone really still use those little Tekna knives on their goodman handle like that? I haven't seen those knives in years! I'm sure it would be handy on occasion, but I wouldn't even know where to find one these days... and I'm not thrilled about screwing it into my handle, either.

I'll look up a fisherman's knot and avoid the square knot. Thanks!

I had one, and lost it (2x). The little sheath is easy to attach with a tiny SS bolt and nylok nut. But the knives are awfully pricey and I'm not into replacing it again.

If I had bare hands I bet I would have noticed it coming loose. Otherwise, not recommended IMO.

rjack321:
But the knives are awfully pricey and I'm not into replacing it again.

Item 24485A1 from Mcmaster.com $13.69

24485ap1l.gif

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom