Clipping off light head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MonkSeal:
Zip ties have been discussed several times and have been found as non-optimal solution comparing to cave line

Which is one of the reasons I did NOT suggest using the zip tie to attach the loop to the light. If you'll re-read my post, you'll see the zip tie is meant to have the had cut off and the body is used ONLY to provide some substance to the nylon loop.

Just trying to throw some ideas out there. If it works for you, great, if not, no big deal, but please read the posts a little more carefully before passing judgement. :wink:

Giff

GIFFMANN:
Just trying to throw some ideas out there. If it works for you, great, if not, no big deal, but please read the posts a little more carefully before passing judgement. :wink:

Giff

Err, hate to point this out--and I certainly don't mean to start another flame war in the DIR forum--but note that the TOS for this forum includes a clause limiting the discussions to DIR answers. Part of the reason you are catching flack for this suggestion (and you may not be aware of this) is that wire or zip ties are one of those beaten-to-death topics involving DIR, and the longstanding conventional DIR wisdom on the subject is that these things are not DIR . . .

Oh, and rjack, you are going to die :D

dsteding:
Err, hate to point this out--and I certainly don't mean to start another flame war in the DIR forum--but note that the TOS for this forum includes a clause limiting the discussions to DIR answers. Part of the reason you are catching flack for this suggestion (and you may not be aware of this) is that wire or zip ties are one of those beaten-to-death topics involving DIR, and the longstanding conventional DIR wisdom on the subject is that these things are not DIR . . .

Nope, completely understand the forum, and I'm NOT trying to get into a flame war or anything, but rather just trying to provide some constructive ideas. But from reading the posts, there is not an "official" standard from GUE, and if there is, various instructors appear to be violating it. I also have read a number of previous posts discussing zip ties, however they have all been focused around using the actual zip tie to attach the item and NOT using the zip tie to simply help form a loop, hence my desire to put forth what could, perhaps, be a viable solution for folks. Now, if folks want to read the word zip tie and instantly discount the suggestion simply because of that word, they can do so. However, to actually read and comprehend the suggestion, and then provide constructive criticism other than "we don't use zip ties", is another thing completely.

At any rate, YMMV.

I don't think GUE cares what you use for your loop (see Clare Gledhill's post early in this thread). As long as it's sturdy, and not a metal-to-metal connection, and you can easily get a clip into it, it's acceptable. I just think people are resisting the zip-tie wire idea because it sounds more complicated and perhaps less trustworthy than the o-ring or bungie solutions we're already using.

dsteding:

Yes, the standard attached clip plus loop at the rear has evolved over time. You may chose to make a loop out of pretty much anything you like as long as its cut-able.

Putting plastic zip tie material into the sheath of parachute cord seems like more work with little benefit over $0.05 worth of bungie to me.

dsteding:

I know, I just hope I don't go silently in my sleep like dear old grand-dad when he drove off the cliff :D

Just to add a comment to Lynn's post, I also don't think that GUE cares about zip-ties or whatever, I wrote the zip-ties (or anything from that material) had been discussed for several times and usual conclusion was it wasn't worth of effort of using instead of cave line or bu

Actually, in my Fundies class, use of zip ties was discouraged because of their tendency to break when twisted.

rjack321:
Yes, the standard attached clip plus loop at the rear has evolved over time. You may chose to make a loop out of pretty much anything you like as long as its cut-able.

TB on the two occasions that I have needed to do a fast running repair (once under the water, once out) I have used zip ties to fashion a loop. I keep some in my wetnotes for stuff like this.

On both occasions, I redid my work after the dive in more durable materials, but I didn't die in the meantime :wink:

Problem with zip ties is that they hold very well indeed in simple tension but do break if they are twisted. the chance of twisting a light head which is held to your D ring is quite high and, whilst there is no chance of losing it, I'm not affluent enough to happily treat my bulbs like that :)

if ur dir all i can say is get this book dress for success it will show u everthing ull need to set up ur grear

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom