Clipping off light head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

limeyx:
With the fixed clip, it's easy -- clip is right there.
Futzing around rummaging through D-rings/pockets for a spare double ender is just going to slow things down.

My clip is 'right there', too. It's just a double ender rather than a fixed snap. It's never not on the light head.

do it easy:
I think wire ties are another name for zip ties. :D
Zip ties have been discussed several times and have been found as non-optimal solution comparing to cave line

MonkSeal:
Zip ties have been discussed several times and have been found as non-optimal solution comparing to cave line

They break easily, especially in cold weather. However, this can be a blessing in disguise for light heads, as I have, on several occasions, had the boat ladder hook my light during a pitch and if it weren't for the breakaway zip tie, I might have either gone with the light or broken the light head itself.

Soggy:
How is a double ender more of an entanglement hazard than a fixed bolt snap? :confused:

Well, #1 -- it's about 1/2" longer ::)

Depends how you hold it. We were shown to hole the fixed snap against the handle (kind of hard to describe) so it doesn't dangle anywhere. if you did the same thing with a double-ender then I cant see a difference.

I used to let the double-ender kind of dangle off the loop, which is a big no-no

limeyx:

Well, in that case... :wink:

Depends how you hold it. We were shown to hole the fixed snap against the handle (kind of hard to describe) so it doesn't dangle anywhere. if you did the same thing with a double-ender then I cant see a difference.

Yup, that's what I do, unless it's clipped to the back, in which case it kind of rests on my arm.

I used to let the double-ender kind of dangle off the loop, which is a big no-no

LOL...if you manage to get that little clip entangled, I'm impressed. With a double ender, you can always just unclip it to unentangle it. :)

limeyx:

My fixed clip dangles, crap I'm gonna die!

So, was this Danny or Gideon? When my light head snap gets entangled once in a million dives I'll use my right hand to untangle it.

LOL...if you manage to get that little clip entangled, I'm impressed. With a double ender, you can always just unclip it to unentangle it. :)[/QUOTE]

I do agree with that.

rjack321:
My fixed clip dangles, crap I'm gonna die!

So, was this Danny or Gideon? When my light head snap gets entangled once in a million dives I'll use my right hand to untangle it.

Danny. Gideon's class was before the new standards.

To be fair, Danny enforced the new standard, and then we said "What about this clip dangling down" and he told us just to hold it so it didnt dangle.

Since the loop on the handle is now not DIR, there was no explicit comparison of entanglements.

Gideon I think may have mentioned entanglement, and so we started stowing the double-ender on our D-rings

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom