Clipping off light head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boomer7:
Thanks for all the info. I have tried the bungie tiedon with cave line and it just did not work well. TsandM did your instructor this weekend ok the o ring?

What was wrong with it?

Yes, he did. He actually suggested it.

do it easy:
Cave line- is there anything it can't do? :wink:

Ah, cave line - the duct tape of diving.

I use an O-ring and a plastic tie-wrap. No problems yet. But, now I may have to think about changing the O-ring to cave line, still with a tie-wrap, based on the post about the light head possibly getting dropped on pavement.

rjack321:
What was wrong with it?

I have been told by some that the o ring is not the chosen method of attachment.

I thought the o ring worked fine just that it stretched. I was just getting some other suggestions.

TSandM:
Yes, he did. He actually suggested it.

I think I used the Wrong O ring. The on eI used was bigger than the DIn o ring.

I still like the bungie, holds it shape just like an O-ring. But without the breakage risk.

I have mine tied with a single fisherman's knot. Then have that little loop attached to the cord with cave line.

Boomer7:
Thanks for all the info. I have tried the bungie tiedon with cave line and it just did not work well. TsandM did your instructor this weekend ok the o ring?

I use thin bungee loop (tied up with fishermans knot) attached with a zip tie or caveline to the ballast.

Seems to work for me.

EDIT: You have to make sure you get the tie or line really tight, and try to find a "groove" on the cord so that the line cant move (most of them have a bolt or some "rings" where you can really tie the line in tight)

I somehow never managed to get the cave line tied tightly enough around the bungie loop -- either that, or the bungie would untie itself at some point. At any rate, I never got that technique to work for me, but the o-ring has so far. After all, I only butt-clip the light when I'm doing something midwater; at the end of the dive, it's clipped off with the permanent clip on the Goodman handle. So I'm not really worried about the light head falling onto the pavement because the o-ring broke.

My much smaller 10W lighthead can be left hanging by the backclip sometimes :shakehead But I agree this is not optimal.

Use the goodman clip for real stowage - just not when its on!

Boomer7:
I have been told by some that the o ring is not the chosen method of attachment.
O-rings are much more likely to become brittle and crack, especially over time and with exposure to the elements (salt water, etc). This makes them more prone to breakage (and always at the most inopportune time). Cave line is practically indestructible, and only requires a single piece to attach and form the loop (as opposed to the two-piece type of attachment that would be required for an O-rings or bungee).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom