Classes still calling "HELP" during training at CSSP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Timeliner:
Pete ...... I've never met her till recently but she seems sweet to me. :14:

Come on... Tell her she's Royalty

Oh BTW... 'pleasure having you drop by the swamp :D

:rofl3: See the respect I get????

<sticking out tongue at Pete> :sprint:

OK, seriously, folks. Same discussion over here. Someone mentioned how desensatized we have become to car alarms & it is sadly true. Not to mention fire alarms, sirens & the like- it can happen at a busy dive site too. Remember the story of the boy who cried "wolf?"

Take a look at this accident thread & read the first post. It's not so long since this happened but I guess we've pretty much forgotten it. Initial cries for help were apparently dismissed as class related drills because the accident took place in an area that is frequently used for training classes. Do anyof you really want to have that happen again?

Based on descriptions of the locations in both these current threads, I can see how easily that can happen at a SCUBA park with lots of regular classes. It is only safe & reasonable to really take some time to ensure that it doesn't happen to y'all. Posted signs & informing the park personnel & bystanders will help. There is really no good excuse, in my mind for not using a substitute word- I guarantee you that not a single one of us will yell out "PIZZA" should the real deal go down.

Please, don't anyone become defensive about this- the topic was posted out of legitimate concern. I'd suggest that the local schools schools & the dive park work together to come up with a standard practice that will minimize the likelyhood that another person die because everyone thought it was "just another rescue class."

Calling for help, call 911, whether in a rescue class or for practice is just plain stupid! UNLESS there is a real emergency!!! Thinking that the real world knows the difference between practice and real is also a silly idea. If someone calls for help it better be for help! These training organizations should get a better way to call for help during training. Even if you inform people initally that it is a class , now how do you get help in a real emergency, works if only your class is only ones diving. But what about new person to the seen. Help in Rescue classes needs to be rethought.

What is strange is that these instructors insist on yelling help even after we just had the incident. How can they justify what they are doing? Do we need more fatal statistics?

khacken:
What is strange is that these instructors insist on yelling help even after we just had the incident. How can they justify what they are doing? Do we need more fatal statistics?

Kevin, I think a much better word for them to yell would be "keys"... what do you think? :10:

Foo:
Kevin, I think a much better word for them to yell would be "keys"... what do you think? :10:

I don't care what they yell, but pizza has become pretty standardized for rescue classes over at CSSP. The problem is it is apparently a PADI requirement to have students yell for help and to yell call 911. Sorry, but this is one area where PADI deserves all the bashing it gets, and any other agency who has similar requirements.

There have been 3 incidents this year out at CSSP including the one fatality. Two of them apparently had people react immediately and they turned out well. The one did not have anyone react immediately and it did not turn out well. I'm not saying it would have turned out well in the one fatality but it couldn't have hurt.

On a side note I've emailed Robert asking what restrictions if any are placed on rescue classes out at CSSP, I don't know if he'll respond given he's probably been beat up on by the media quite a bit lately but if he does and gives his permission I'll post what he says. One way or the other I'd love to see this PADI requirement change and the rules at CSSP state absolutely no calls for help or 911 unless it is an emergency. I'd like to see the second happen regardless of what PADI does. If PADI shops can't hold rescue classes then maybe they'll complain to their dive organization and get that ridiculous rule changed.

TxHockeyGuy:
I don't care what they yell, but pizza has become pretty standardized for rescue classes over at CSSP. The problem is it is apparently a PADI requirement to have students yell for help and to yell call 911. Sorry, but this is one area where PADI deserves all the bashing it gets, and any other agency who has similar requirements.
PADI don't require you 'yell' anything. It's the yelling that's the problem, not the choice of words.

Bubble Junky:
PADI don't require you 'yell' anything. It's the yelling that's the problem, not the choice of words.

Good catch, but I'd prefer the requirement for the words help and call 911 be removed entirely, they don't belong. I have also seen several PADI instructors have their students yell for pizza in violation of the standards. I applaud them for using their head, the standards here are just wrong.

TxHockeyGuy:
Good catch, but I'd prefer the requirement for the words help and call 911 be removed entirely, they don't belong. I have also seen several PADI instructors have their students yell for pizza in violation of the standards. I applaud them for using their head, the standards here are just wrong.
Once again, what is wrong with saying (even whispering) to the evaluator/instructor to Call 911 when they are simply evaluationg your ability to summon assistance?

Because the instructor might be 50 feet away on shore.

freediver:
Once again, what is wrong with saying (even whispering) to the evaluator/instructor to Call 911 when they are simply evaluationg your ability to summon assistance?

Paco II:
Because the instructor might be 50 feet away on shore.
Well then, perhaps, the instructor (or anyone) should be in close proximity to the student/victim to be able to evalute their ability to say exactly what is needed to be said during the time of a crisis! To all of those who say "YELL PIZZA", are you truly saying that it takes practice to be able to yell what is necessary in the event of an emergency??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom