Claims made about ascending vertical vs horizontal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Final little point to add; with reference to ocean diving where an ascent up the shot line is necessary, it can often get fairly busy, especially if there are multiple boats on a wreck. Flat(ish) trim is a far more efficient use of space and helps to ensure no one is getting kicked.

Final little point to add; with reference to ocean diving where an ascent up the shot line is necessary, it can often get fairly busy, especially if there are multiple boats on a wreck. Flat(ish) trim is a far more efficient use of space and helps to ensure no one is getting kicked.
Memories of deco/safety stops on a shot line with recreational divers above. Had to stay at 8m/25ft to keep out of the way of the thrashing fins above.

Taking the audience out of the equation, which I’ll admit does impact upon the meaning of your post a little, I often try and carry out difficult tasks, sometimes quite contrived, whilst trying to hold my position, so as to improve my ability as a diver.
Of course. The skilled diver should be able to do that, and it requires practice. I do that myself. Task loading while holding depth and trim is part of the training for tech diving.

That does not mean it is always the best thing to be doing at the particular moment on a particular dive.

Just a cultural thing; the above is normal around here. Earlier this year I dived in the Caribbean on a recreational boat. Was flabbergasted to see people vertical in the water for their safety stop. Nothing wrong with it and when someone explained to me about the boat traffic risk it seemed a good thing.

Was just plain odd though and quite a few of those people were not not neutral, relying on constant finning to stay at one depth.
Yep......if a diver cannot maintain neutral buoyancy with little to no effort in either horizontal or vertical position, then that's a definite problem

Yep......if a diver cannot maintain neutral buoyancy with little to no effort in either horizontal or vertical position, then that's a definite problem

Neutral buoyancy is cake. I don't know anyone that hadn't mastered it.

That's not the thing here.

Going verticle, and maintaining negative buoyancy, it doesn't take much, means I can sink much quicker. Compared to being neutral, then dumping.

If I'm cramping up, or tired, I dont bother.

Just a handy way to be careful on the way up. No worries about not dumping enough on the way up and ending up blowing through your stop, or hitting the boat.

Not to mention that you might have to dodge your own boats propeller.

Besides, this is already a too low exertion hobby. A little finning could do some of yall, good.

Neutral buoyancy is cake. I don't know anyone that hadn't mastered it.
Just hop on a cattle boat in Coz, and you will then most likely know someone that hasn't mastered neutral buoyancy.

That's who I use as a DSMB, in CZM.

Chum buoys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom