Claims made about ascending vertical vs horizontal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll concede that it is easier to look up when vertical. However, I don't see the need to constantly look up during an ascent, and the small advantage that might bring .

Please come to Florida where the drunken boaters aim for dive flags. You haven't lived until you are run over by a boat with 3 screaming outboards.

Please come to Florida where the drunken boaters aim for dive flags. You haven't lived until you are run over by a boat with 3 screaming outboards.
Fair enough, I've never dived in Florida, or in the US at all. If recreational boaters posed a significant safety risk, I would probably finish my last stop at 6m and adjust my position to look up for the final ascent.

Saying that offgassing is completely ineffective from a vertical position is obviously wrong. If they said "non-optimal" then I could accept their opinion. They've said some things in other videos which were similarly indefensible, but overall they seem to do a good job on the videos, as best I can tell.

I ascend in a more or less vertical position, because I can see the water column better, it is more relaxed and my trim is definitely not good enough to completely relax on a horizontal trim for a long time.

The drag created by horizontal trim helps with maintaining depth, and proper fining techniques help you make small adjustments.
In vertical trim if you start to unintentionally ascend the only thing you can do is exhale and do a half flip to swim down.

That said it dosn't really matter how you ascend as long as you are comfortable doing it. Doing long deco in perfect trim makes my back and ass cramp up.

Just three? The new thing now is five outboard engines!

The off gassing thing is really nonsense. But if you are trying to hold a 15 feet stop and your feet are at 18 feet and your head is at 11 feet, I dunno. The gas exchange is occurring in your lungs, well, unless you start fizzing. I just keep horizontal trim and do a helicopter turn to clear the area before final surfacing. I can hear five screws turning at 4,500 RPM. Loud props save lives.

On your SS, You should also beat your chest like a gorilla to help loosen the bubbles trapped in your lungs and then yell loudly to expel them. {sarcasm}

Watch this:

The claim is that ascending vertically prevents your tissues from offgassing “evenly” rendering your stops completely ineffective.
I think flowstate divers is a great channel but this information seems fishy.

I’d love to hear an experts’ opinion on this - but I only have scuba board. So what say you?
I don't think there's any evidence for this. Military and commercial divers decompress in vertical positions. Sometimes we've even been known to hang upside down from the top of the stage out of boredom.

Best regards,
DDM

...You haven't lived until you are run over by a boat with 3 screaming outboards.

Just three? The new thing now is five outboard engines!...
The one that hit me just had two.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom