Check this vintage ad out...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It would be hard for someone to actually get hurt by it, but I understand the concern.

The actual gauge could burst, but I have had that happen with a brand new pressure gauge in the last 5 years. No one should be looking at a pressure gauge when opening the cylinder.

This gauge reads 3000 psi. I would hope no one would try to use it on a higher pressure cylinder. Do we need to put warnings...

The yoke would be the more concerning item to most divers, but a yoke like this do not tend to fail in a catastrophic and dramatic way. The typical yoke failure is a slight flexing and the O-ring extruding and blowing. It is very disturbing to a beginner and give yokes a bad reputation, but it is really not normally dangerous... at least not physically.

I have seen many vintage undersized yokes flex just enough to be a bit of a concern, but I have never seen one fracture in a catastrophic failure. The worst outcome that I have seen (and can expect) is a blown O-ring that relieves the pressure. Not a great experience, but we get over it.

If you want to use it for display. By all means, just remove the seat from the bleed valve or loosen up the gauge so that it leaks.

Yeah they tell you to open the valve slowly that doesn't necessarily work the oring completely

Does anyone remember diving without any training to 100 feet for an hour back in the day this all started?

Apparently with Aqualung’s self contained diving unit back in 1952 you could and they did. See attached advertisement.. dive to 100 feet for an hour without training and after 7 year no casualties.

Please share your stories if you started diving without training in the 40’s and 50’s and how you started.

View attachment 626574
That's nothing, my buddy certified with nasds in the 70's. One of the checkout dives was inside an underwater cave.

I love vintage…

1658289944220.jpeg

Decometer on the arm ? Not the easiest way to read it, I fear.

That's a silicone sex doll dressed up in dive gear, nice isn't she???

Want your Bend-O-Matic serviced

200 IMG_3797a.jpg

I can do that!

That's a silicone sex doll dressed up in dive gear, nice isn't she???

Want your Bend-O-Matic serviced

View attachment 734184

I can do that!
No kidding??? May I ask what's the motivation been that? I can feel the collector's interest to have a vintage piece in pristine condition but please, do tell me : you don't intend to dive with such a contraption? You're worrying me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom