Check this vintage ad out...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still have that same mask.
20220705_073502.jpg

Just a wild assumption but I'm betting it looks better on her.
Oh yes, you would be correct.
I wore that mask a couple of years ago on a local dive and a local instructor remarked 'that mask is so 1980s Bob, dad has one like it', I know, your dad and I were dive buddies remember?
It has a lot of dives on it, and I can't get rid of it.

Like this one I have?
20220705_122510.jpg

Like this one I have?

Yours is newer and much higher pressure, which argues in favor of recycling my old relic. Mine is from 1962 and is only rated for 3000 PSI/207Bar. Scubapro didn't exist yet. I should drill a hole in it so nobody accidently uses it and gets hurt.

I know how you fell. I still have one of the cylinder pressure gauges left over from my first dive kit. I can't bring myself to recycle the brass.

Hi @Akimbo

The actual fitting in that pressure gauge is perfectly safe for any Scuba pressure. The yoke an the actual gauge are the only limitation.

I have several of those gauges that I have converted to utility yoke fittings for transfer whips, etc. I just remove the gauge (it is 1/4" NPT threads) and replace the yoke with a newer heavier Aqua Lung yoke.

That yoke can actually handle 3000 psi, but it is marginal. But the actual fitting doesn't see much stress.

Please do not destroy that fitting. If you don't want it, I am sure someone can use it. I don't need it, but if you want to get rid of it and no one else wants it, let me know.

Thanks

The yoke an the actual gauge are the only limitation.

True, but isn't that enough to hurt someone? At some point after I'm worm food this could end up in the hands of a diver who has no idea how dangerous it is. An even simpler option would be to remove the seal on the vent valve.

Come to think of it, this gauge has been mine for 60 years this month.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom